Fun with "netbooks" - HP Streams, Lenovo Ideapads, and the old Eee PCs etc

It's been a while since I last bored everyone here. The frequent demands to complete a Captcha task to log in became too irritating for words - and the fact that it takes an age to load the Computing Advice and Technology Chat page (or Buyer Central, or Seller Central etc etc) adds aggravation.

Still, I actually got here with no more than a request to confirm they had the right telephone number. I suppose this is progress.

For some reason, I've always had a soft spot for the little "netbooks." My flat is semi-submerged in Eee PCs (the joy of a mildly obsessive personality) which, while I messed around with them regularly, gave me a lot of fun. Trying to find a distro which actually works on something with a 4GB hard drive and half a gig of RAM is ... entertaining.

Joining those blasts from the past (about 2008) are a few Acer Aspire One ZG5s. Much fun to be had there, too.

Over the past year and a bit, I've acquired a couple of HP Streams - the 11" version - and also a couple of Lenovo Ideapads - again, the little 11" version (the 120S, and an S130 - I think.)

Somehow, none is quite as impressive to me as the old Eee PC or Acer Aspire in their day. However, they do at least run 64-bit software, and I picked up a couple of reasonable bargains. I was keen to try something semi-modern (as in UEFI), and curious about Windows 10 - a cheap way to mess around with both.

I'll probably witter on a little more in due course, in the vague hope that others might like to share their views - this is just putting my toe back in the water.

Long story short, the 32GB soldered eMMC drives (which they have the cheek to pretend are SSDs) are pretty hopeless in this day and age, especially with Windows 10. The RAM is also soldered permanently, and the impossibility of upgrading hard drives or memory is pretty tedious.

Still - I quite like the little machines. The Lenovo is the clear winner, with its 4GB of RAM, but the Stream has its charms. I've done very little with Windows 10 (other than wrestle with updates), but must say I'm not really overwhelmed.

Does anyone else still mess around with the earlier EeePCs and Acer Aspires? They still seem to sell steadily, rather to my surprise. And what do folk think of the little HP Streams and 11" Lenovo cheapies? This is being typed on a Stream (running Linux Mint, although it still has its W10 installation.)

More waffle in due course, perhaps (and no barrages of questions! One is lacking in energy these days.) It's surprisingly possible to overcome the little devices' inadequate storage - even to the extend to updating W10 - perhaps more of those - um - "experiences" as inclination and energy dictate.

I guess I'll basically be talking to myself, as things seem awfully quiet here - but at least that way I know somebody's reading, even if it's only me.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Wouldn't you have more fun with a "modern" machine?

Apart from "messing about", what do you actually do with those museum pieces?

Also, on here, there's several things you said you'd come back to but never have!!

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

1. Can't afford one - and if I did, I'd be terrified of experimenting.

2. I have lots of fun with them.

3. Nowt personal - but I lack the energy to commit to much at the moment. Tedious - and more for me than anyone else!

Nice to see an old face, CD - 'tis bed-time, but I'll hopefully be back.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Ah, can't means won't Smiley LOL Go on, you know you want to.

You're having fun doing.......... what?

Now come on, concentrate.

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Also, on here, there's several things you said you'd come back to but never have!!

Haha!  That's telling you, OE heart_eyes  Lovely to see you!

My remaining netbook is not a very oldie, it's a Lenovo Yoga Flex 11.6", I got it on eBay and the seller had upgraded the RAM to 4GB and put an SSD in it !!!  It's been a little Trojan, screen-capturing birds' nests for days on end - but hasn't been used for a few months, I must boot it up to update at least.

Whenever I look at netbooks on eBay or the other place these days, they are few and far between - they want us on tabletty things, which I hate.  Anything with a touch screen does ridiculous things with a mere glance from me.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

I'd almost finished a post.

I obviously hit some key combination inadvertently.

My post vanished.

No idea where drafts are hidden.

I'm off to bed...

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Didn't you think to try Ctrl + Z?

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent