Ebay pages just not loading on my Macs

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

For the past week or so ebay pages just don't load for me, particularly editing a listing. The pages are in an endless loop of loading, I can leave them for half an hour and occasionally come back and find a page has made it, then it's a 20 minute wait for the next one.

I'm changing a photo at the moment and the add a picture page has been loading since 7.35pm on a laptop upstairs.

It's just the ebay site, all other sites are fine and pages load in half a second.

I use Macs - tried 2 different Macbooks and one large iMac with FireFox and Safari, same for all of them.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

We're really short of Mac people here - please post back if you find a solution; it could help lurkers a great deal.

Perhaps you could supply more details of your setup in case any experts happen along - Mac models, OS, whether you are connecting to a router wirelessly or via ethernet cable would all be useful.

I always find eBay is the first site to cause trouble if something is starting to go pear-shaped with my own setup. Presumably they simply try to load too much stuff for less capable equipment to handle it.

In this instance, all your computers are affected, which suggests something other than the machines or their software is causing you trouble (unless the trouble started after a recent software update, for instance, which affected all the machines and coincided with the start of your hassles.)

If you're connecting wirelessly, try using a cable instead. If things improve, this could be a useful clue.

If that doesn't help, try shutting down your router, waiting a little while (I'd guess ten or thirty seconds should let everything "evaporate" - how unscientific is that?) and starting it up again. This will probably reduce your internet speed for a few days whilst it settles down again, but might speed up individual page loading. If that makes sense.

Disabling IPv6 has helped on occasion (google for details, if necessary.)

No idea why clearing cache might help, but this is sometimes suggested when things slow. Anecdotally, eBay does seem susceptible to problems with locally stored stuff - cookies, flash cookies, whatever other junk useful elements it stores in browser cache - and sometimes clearing the whole lot and restarting your browser might help. Odd that all your computers and browsers should be afflicted at the same time, though.

If none of that helps, post back with more gen, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along in the morning. Best of luck with it!

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

It does, on the face of it, appear to be a site issue, but I can't work out why.

Now that it's early morning I've managed to access a listing and edit it successfuly in minutes, ditto a few days ago. Last night I could do nothing.

There's no pattern to this, it affects Macs at home and at work (state of the art). The only one emerging is that is seems to be an issue when site traffic is at it's busiest.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Servers struggling - poss?

Response times pretty high.... Have you tried refreshing page/s.

Two screenshots - Graphs are about a day old/lag, [taken approx mid-day] - 2nd has comment from dot com user [mac + FF29].

Vy_Snip.jpg

------

Vy_dot_com.jpg

Response times approaching 50msecs on dot com   Man Surprised

Not much help, I know.

Oxie...

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Same here on about 5 different macs including a brand new MBP M1

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent