Ebay.co.uk databases cookie

Hi community: Is this cookie "ebay.co.uk databases" dangerous? I have heard that ebay suffered a security breach back in march/ april 2017 and I was wondering whether this cookie was a malicious intruder that gathers personal info of ebay customers. The scariest aspect of this is that it cannot be deleted and after contacting apple they have just told me that it is the only cookie that cannot be deleted by my Safari browser. Robert Carr in London

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&q=what+is+a+cookie&oq=what+is+a+cookie&gs_l=psy-ab.3...

third one down i think,,if ebay cookie were a problem millions would be gropping around in the dark

just clean cookies and history every few days

Petal
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

I have heard that ebay suffered a security breach back in march/ april 2017  - eek I missed that - have you any details?

Cookies are generally pretty harmless in and of themselves, as I understand it. They do store data, and I suppose that if any villain obtained access to one's computer, they could get hold of those data - assuming they could make sense of it.

Must say, I've not found the cookie you mention - perhaps I should try a little harder!

I'm more concerned about the idea of a cookie that "cannot be deleted." Surely that would contravene all sorts of privacy-related legislation in all sorts of places?

You might try clearing local storage ("cache" if Safari uses that term) and see whether that shifts it. I seem to recall that Apple products don't support Flash Player, which is one of the Usual Suspects if cookies appear hard to shift - unscrupulous sites simply set cookies in Flash's folders, using them to recreate HTML cookies which users delete or block.

Presumably you do block third party cookies already.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent