EBay Search blocked by malware message

Hi,

Anyone else having this problem, the eBay search being blocked by the following message:

System error: your browser flash plugin damaged.

It then freezes the page and won't let me shut it down.

Also a few times when I did try to close the message my Norton Virus came up telling me it had blocked an attack.

The details on Norton about the attack are:

Category: Intrusion Prevention

Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description

23/04/2015 11:38:16,High,An intrusion attempt by ttb.tracktoolfile.com was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Malicious File Download Request 27,No Action Required,No Action Required,"ttb.tracktoolfile.com (54.186.166.39, 80)",ttb.tracktoolfile.com/download/request/540706f95f1c1e135400001c/tOUytxsp?PubID=79_3527_3100&ClickID=11662101582(192.168.1.66, 51129)",54.186.166.39 (54.186.166.39),"TCP, www-http"

Network traffic from <b>ttb.tracktoolfile.com/download/request/540706f95f1c1e135400001c/tOUytxsp?PubID=79_3527_3100&ClickID=11662101582</b> matches the signature of a known attack.  The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME3\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE. 

It's so frustrating as I can't bring look at anything on eBay at the moment.

Hopefully eBay can resolve this soon.

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Yes.

I'm having the same problem. No idea how to fix it though I'm afriad.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

No, but then I run a malware scan at least once a week.

I'm fluent in Italian and French, speak decent German and Spanish and understand Dutch, please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

I am having exactly the same issue

@the_grays_bid wrote:

Hi,

Anyone else having this problem, the eBay search being blocked by the following message:

System error: your browser flash plugin damaged.

It then freezes the page and won't let me shut it down.

Also a few times when I did try to close the message my Norton Virus came up telling me it had blocked an attack.

The details on Norton about the attack are:

Category: Intrusion Prevention

Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description

23/04/2015 11:38:16,High,An intrusion attempt by ttb.tracktoolfile.com was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Malicious File Download Request 27,No Action Required,No Action Required,"ttb.tracktoolfile.com (54.186.166.39, 80)",ttb.tracktoolfile.com/download/request/540706f95f1c1e135400001c/tOUytxsp?PubID=79_3527_3100&ClickID=11662101582(192.168.1.66, 51129)",54.186.166.39 (54.186.166.39),"TCP, www-http"

Network traffic from <b>ttb.tracktoolfile.com/download/request/540706f95f1c1e135400001c/tOUytxsp?PubID=79_3527_3100&ClickID=11662101582</b> matches the signature of a known attack.  The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME3\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE. 

It's so frustrating as I can't bring look at anything on eBay at the moment.

Hopefully eBay can resolve this soon.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

I run a full scan every 3 or 4 days. But it's nothing to do with my computer being infected. It seems to be a problem local to eBay. eBay has been infiltrated by malware it seems...

It must be affecting the sales...

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Same here, it was detected by McAfee and blocked.

I have done a system restore and at the time of writing no recurance.

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Yes your right! I just found out it has infected Internet explorer, as I can access the eBay search perfectly on Chrome.

I'll have to get my husband to do the system restore as I am clueless how to go about that.

Wow don't those eBay pages zip along so much quicker without all those ads! My Chrome version has ad block installed and it's the first time I've ever tried accessing eBay that way. I'm going to be doing this from now on, it's a revelation :smileyvery-happy:

Less risk too of ever again picking up malware from greedy eBay's poisoned ads...

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

By blocking the web attack your Norton has done its job.

In my opinion a system restore would be unnecessary, in your case, and could even mess up your Norton.

What I would suggest, however, is that you consider running scans with the free editions of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Neither of these programmes should conflict with Norton. Once you have installed them you can run them on demand whenever you wish.

Also, you could check that Flash in Internet Explorer is up to date, even if you are now running Chrome, which I think updates Flash automatically.

*If you are downloading MBAM and SAS for the first time watch out for any additional programmes or features which may be included and uncheck the appropriate boxes.
For example in the window which appears towards the end of the installation process uncheck the box for the free trial, otherwise you will get the free trial of the full version (real-time protection, which you don’t need) instead of just the free version*.

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

@rell6534 wrote:

No it hasn't, it's a false positive.

A false positive is when an antivirus or firewall returns a report that something is malicious when it isn't.  That happens when a program or bit of code is written in such a way that its behaviour contains characteristics consistent with malicious programs.

For once it's an issue with Norton rather than eBay.

@rell6534 wrote:

In my opinion a system restore would be unnecessary, in your case, and could even mess up your Norton.

You'd be right on the first part of that sentence.

Norton has never been particularly good, but at least it isn't quite as resource hungry as once it was.

Don't wait for the perfect moment - seize the moment and make it perfect Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

@*northy* wrote:

@rell6534 wrote:

No it hasn't, it's a false positive.

A false positive is when an antivirus or firewall returns a report that something is malicious when it isn't.  That happens when a program or bit of code is written in such a way that its behaviour contains characteristics consistent with malicious programs.

For once it's an issue with Norton rather than eBay.

@rell6534 wrote:

You'd be right on the first part of that sentence.

Norton has never been particularly good, but at least it isn't quite as resource hungry as once it was.

I didn’t say it was an eBay problem.

This sort of thing can happen on other trusted websites.

A false positive maybe, but MacAfee picked something up at the same time.

Believe me, you aren’t telling me something I don’t already know, I’ve heard all the arguments against Norton before.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

My wife had the same problem with eBay searches this morning, making it virtually unusable.  Repeated pop-ups were trying to entice her to download and install malware.  This happened with Firefox and IE11.  We didn't try Chrome or Opera.

At first it really felt like she'd been infected, although we didn't know how.  We always run Microsoft Security Essentials (actually quite good, for a Microsoft product) and ran a check with Malwarebytes.  We always run in User mode so, in theory, we'd be prompted for Administrator permissions before malware could be installed. We keep up to date with the various security patches.

It now just seems to have been pop-ups generated by the eBay search pages, possibly by malicious listings, perhaps unaware to the seller(s).

One of the pop-up warnings said, "browser flash plugin damaged please update to solve this problem".  Be careful when searching for these warnings.  Sometimes you're directed to convincing looking, but fake, malware clean up sites that lead you to install malware!

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

It can't be a false positive, as the pop up message acted like malware (please refer to first part of my message). It froze the page, as malware messages do. It also popped up with other messages, each increasing in sarcasm everytime, when ever I tried to close it, until finally Norton bloked an attack when it tried to download the virus.

I cannot agree about Norton not being particularly good. It's the best AV program I've ever used, and in my opinion deserves it's good reputation. It's never let anything into my computer that it shouldn't (unlike other programs I've used), and I've never had any problems with it so far in terms of function.

And it's certainly not bloated either...that issue is no longer relevant...

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

@the_grays_bid wrote:

It can't be a false positive, as the pop up message acted like malware (please refer to first part of my message). It froze the page, as malware messages do. It also popped up with other messages, each increasing in sarcasm everytime, when ever I tried to close it, until finally Norton bloked an attack when it tried to download the virus.

I cannot agree about Norton not being particularly good. It's the best AV program I've ever used, and in my opinion deserves it's good reputation. It's never let anything into my computer that it shouldn't (unlike other programs I've used), and I've never had any problems with it so far in terms of function.

And it's certainly not bloated either...that issue is no longer relevant...

The chances are that the message was nothing to do with the eBay search or eBay at all.....it was probably some script within one of the ads on the page.....this is quite common on websites allowing 3rd party adverts.....

It probably wasn't malware in the true sense of the word....more likely some form of script adware

Try a progran like Adblock Plus.....it blocks the adverts at source so no alerts.......I use it, malwarebytes, Avast & Avira & have never encountered any alarms on any eBay pages

‘You need darkness for a star to truly shine’

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

@corred wrote:

I use... ... ... Avast & Avira & have never encountered any alarms on any eBay pages

As far as I know Avast and Avira are both antivirus programs and should never be used together on a system.  Or do you mean that you use them on different systems?

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I keep getting a message to say Internet exploer has blocked a pop up from Ebay, I've scanned the computer for threats, unitstalled Ebay and re-installed, Still getting the message.  Can't look at anything on Ebay on PC but I can on tablet.This has only started today. Any suggestions.  It also is asking me to allow once.  Then when I do nothing another window opens with some gaming page.Grrrr.

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent