Adding edited content......

Is there a way of adding edited content to a Word file already saved on a flash drive?

For example, say you have a document called "Dumbo". (No, I don't have one called that laughing )

You work on that file on your computer and add a lot of new content to "Dumbo" then save that.

Can you add that edited content to "Dumbo" on the flash drive or do you have to save the whole document again to the flash drive with a different file name OR... can it be saved with the same file name ("Dumbo") and that will save the complete file with the new work?

I was wondering if I tried saving with the same file name whether it might come up with something like "Dumbo already exists, do you want to replace it?"

Now I've spent some time looking round for a solution but can't find one soooooooo, over to the experts?

I have found that it's not a good idea to work from the flash drive, "they" say flash drives are for storage, not work-in-progress and that's fair enough if that is so but my original question is bugging me.

If I can't do what I "want", I'll just save with a different file name and be done with it.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

You would need to save the whole document again and when you get the message that a document already exists with that name you'll be given the option to overwrite the original.

The other option is to plug the flashdrive into your computer, open the document on the flashdrive and just update that one.

Merry Everything & A Happy Always 🙂
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you for your quick response.

As in my OP I wondered if there was something like that. I've not used a flash drive to store my docs before as you can guess.

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Is there a way of adding edited content to a Word file already saved on a flash drive?

... ... ...

I was wondering if I tried saving with the same file name whether it might come up with something like "Dumbo already exists, do you want to replace it?"

As long as you are happy that you've edited the doc as you want it to be, you just say Yes to that question.  But if you wanted to save the unedited doc as well, then you'd give the new one a different name - like Dumbo-2, for instance.

A Flash drive plugged into your PC's USB socket becomes a discrete extra storage drive, and you treat it as part of your PC.  My brother cavalierly pulls them out when he's done but I play it safe and use the right-click menu "Eject", which should ensure that files don't get corrupted, "they" tell me.

My tuppence, don't nobody tell me it's erroneous Woman LOL

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Well I play safe too and click "eject"..... just in case..... even though "they" say it's not necessary now.

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent