leaving a deposit

if a seller is getting a motor home in a few days and i really want it so i transfer money into his account,if for some reason he sells motor home to someone else can i get my deposit back,am i covered by ebay.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

leaving a deposit

As advised DO NOT do it.

You have no protection when it comes to vehicles.

Also there is NO Ebay holding account/escrow.  No such thing exists.

The vehicle will NOT be shipped to you and you do NOT  have 7 days to decide if you wish to keep it or not.

The Seller is NOT working away hence why you cannot inspect the vehicle.

IF the seller has said any of the above to you then its 100% a SCAM.  A well known one 😞

IF the price of any vehicle on the site is too good to be true......then it usually is and you need to run.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

leaving a deposit

Never pay a deposit.

Anything in the motors categories is not covered by the Ebay MBG.

How do you know the item actually exists ,might be a scammer/hijacked account taking deposits off many and doing a runner wearing a smile.

Motor homes are in the top 3 most popular scam items of all time.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

Don't do it. It's one of the oldest and most frequent scams in the book. As dopomine says, motor homes are a top scam item and vehicle sales are not covered by the MBG.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

As advised DO NOT do it.

You have no protection when it comes to vehicles.

Also there is NO Ebay holding account/escrow.  No such thing exists.

The vehicle will NOT be shipped to you and you do NOT  have 7 days to decide if you wish to keep it or not.

The Seller is NOT working away hence why you cannot inspect the vehicle.

IF the seller has said any of the above to you then its 100% a SCAM.  A well known one 😞

IF the price of any vehicle on the site is too good to be true......then it usually is and you need to run.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

SCAM SCAM SCAM!

There is no motor vehicle for sale. So he wont be selling it to anyone else, instead he will be enjoying spending your money that he has duped you out of.

Its one of the oldest tricks in the book that we see a lot of on here. Don't be fooled by these charlatans.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

when i know there scams because there priced to cheap ,what are these people getting out of it ,deposits ? also when you apply for a camper and a long automated text comes through saying email so or so,what do they get out of them

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

I suspect that`s how these scams are working, asking for high deposits for a vehicle that doesn`t exist. Many ask for and buyers are doing bank transfers, which is never seen again and banks won`t help because they concider them effectively handing over cash and you knew what you were doing.

My advice, if you want a camper, go to a dealer, where you have a point of contact, can see what your buying and a place to return to if any issues arise.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

Hi

Referring to what i typed....unfortunately quite a few people do fall for it.  Often paying up front the full price for a vehicle that 99% of the time does not exist and the buyer sits there waiting for it to be delivered.   It never is and the seller is long gone.   A lot of the time its "professional gangs" operating this scam.    Often the buyers need to stop and think is this too good to be true......often they do not because they think they have an absolute bargain.   I have been on the boards for many years and see the scam i mention too often.    One buyer lost nearly £20K for 2 cars that never existed. 

Deposits are not covered by Ebay so i guess yes someone could make a fortune getting deposits for a none existant vehicle.

Scammers can be very convincing generally...expecially if someone is vulnerable.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

Just to add.    Well done you coming to the boards for advice before you sent/lost any money.

Unfortunately some only come to the boards after they have lost a substantial amount of money and its horrible for us regular responders to have to give them bad news 😞

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

To add... Have a trawl though the motor posts if you are thinking of buying in this category as there are lots of helpful posts about the scams to familiarise yourself with so you can give them a swerve.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/eBay-Motors/bd-p/22004 

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

I really suspect the op already sent the money

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

leaving a deposit

its horrible for us regular responders to have to give them bad news

A while back, when collection scams were more common, I nearly stopped going on the boards because it could be so depressing.

leaving a deposit

I agree and i remember the days when people posted different questions every 2 or 3 minutes......  

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: