PAYPAL - I DONT WANT TO LINK DEBIT CARD AND WANT TO PAY DIRECT FROM ACCOUNT PAYPAL IS LINKED TO

Hi

I have always had a seperate paypal account specifically for ebay and i am trying to purchase a vacuum and when i select the paypal option it ask me to to either link a debit or credit card, or make monthly installments.

I am unable to pay direct from my account. It IS LINKED. I made a purchase with another company last week and all was fine. It seems as though Ebay has changed, i havent used Ebay in quite a few years. 

Can anyone help me to pay without linking my card, as I dont have on efor this account and I wouldnt want to anyway.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

PAYPAL - I DONT WANT TO LINK DEBIT CARD AND WANT TO PAY DIRECT FROM ACCOUNT PAYPAL IS LINKED TO

It might be because ebay now demands an associated bank account to pay money into ?

And not just any bank it must be a high street bank.

I am sure this has upset many potential buyers/sellers and they buy/sell elsewhere now.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Sounds like a PayPal issue, not an eBay one.  

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

I've heard of eBay screwing around with the site and creating problems whereby you can't submit Best Offers without providing credit or debit card details, but so far I've only had one instance whereby I was forced to provide my card details before the payment was taken, and that was when I made a Best Offer for an item.  I've since removed the details of that card from eBay's system and have had the card stopped and replaced with a new one, so eBay couldn't use that old card to take payment again even if they were able to find a record of the card that they used to take payment from before I even had the opportunity to contact the seller and make arrangements to collect the item and pay with cash, as per the request in the listing.

To be honest I don't trust eBay with my card details - when shopping on eBay I always pay via PayPal unless I'm buying a Collection In Person Only item and have arranged with the seller to pay in cash.  That way eBay get paid via PayPal and not directly via my debit card.

If you are still experiencing problems by the time you read this response then if you haven't already done so try contacting the seller to ask him/her whether he/she would be open to the option of you collecting the vacuum in person and paying for it in cash on collection.  If the seller will agree to the request then you wouldn't need your card details in order to complete the sale, although you would still need to ascertain what the cause of the problem is with regards to paying for items on eBay. 

So long as you link your PayPal account to eBay you shouldn't need to give eBay your credit or debit card details, as that way they would get their money via PayPal whenever you purchased an item.  If you use PayPal to purchase items on eBay it's a good idea to keep some money in the account, even if you transfer money directly to PayPal from your bank or building society, although it's worth having your credit or debit card registered on PayPal as a backup option, just in case you purchase something on eBay or on another online website where the amount you need to pay exceeds the available balance in your PayPal account.  In that instance PayPal would use the money in your PayPal account and take the remainder of the money from the card that has been linked to your PayPal account.

I hope you manage to get the problem sorted and don't run into any further problems when trying to purchase items you wish to buy.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

If you mean that when you check out of eBay and select PayPal, you are sent directly to a specific PayPal account without entering username or password and you do not want that to happen, sign in to that PayPal account outside of eBay and use the Gear icon to go to Settings and choose Security, then check the "Manage your Logins" and "Auto Login" sections and either delete those entries or select "Log out of all devices".

If you are unable to sign in to that PayPal account directly, try using a different browser (or a private or incognito browser window) to see if that gives you the option to select a PayPal account.

If you mean that when you check out of eBay and select PayPal, you are not able to choose a specific payment method in your PayPal wallet but one is selected for you, in that case go to your eBay Payments page in your eBay account and delete the entry for PayPal that appears there. Then the next time you check out on eBay and select PayPal you should be directed to your PayPal wallet page to select a payment method.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: