I think the seller has died! :(

This is really sad if true 😞

Basically I bought my fiance and friend a load of presents early for Christmas last week (I like to do it early so I don't get caught up in the Christmas rush) but there was something weird I noticed after nearly a week. All the presents had been dispatched except the one present that I knew my fiance wanted most. This week passed, and most of the items had been delivered by then. It was just....that one item he really wanted more than anything. The seller had 100% positive feedback, so I thought this seemed kinda weird. But I decided that even though it was over the estimated delivery date I'd give them a week to dispatch. Still nothing. I was thinking *bleep* is going on? I messaged them yesterday morning, stupidly thinking they would actually reply. Nope, nothing

I was still not thinking by this point that anything bad had happened to them, I mean I would have thought eBay would have removed their listings or something if it had. It never even entered my head. My first thought was actually that I had been conned, cos I had something like this happen before, I only got sent the item when I told the seller I wanted my money back if they weren't bothering to send it. But back to this other seller, I waited hours for a reply that never came. I just thought they were really rude and was so annoyed he wouldn't be getting this item that I opened a Not Received Case with them. EBay have requested a reply from them and if they hear nothing I will probably get my money back (I'll use the money to rebuy the item from someone else) even though the seller doesnt accept returns

Outta curiosity I decided to visit their eBay shop. Went to newly listed, expecting them to have listed items this week. Nothing has been listed by this seller since March. Oh *bleep* 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I wish I never opened a case, I'm 90% sure they are dead so can't do anything about it. But if I'm never gonna receive the item, then it's policy to get my money back right? If my money went to a dead person, what happens? Has this ever happened to anyone else before? I honestly don't know for sure if they've died but it seems like it. I just don't know what happens next? Thanks

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Dead, sick, remanded in custody or had his account hijacked by someone else... None of these reduce your right to have your items or your money back.

He may be where he will take no offence, and this ranks low among his problems. . But if that worries you, you don't have to escalate to ebay for enforcement after the minimum of three business days. You can leave it uo to 21, and even tell him if you like.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Are you saying they have live listings now that were originally listed in March?

That doesn't mean much if they atomically renew every month.

When was their last feedback as a buyer or seller.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

wow really? I can still get the item? I didn't even think this would be possible cos they haven't even dispatched it. Tbh in my item not received case I asked for the item instead of a refund but even though it seems like I can get my money back, how will I get the item? EBay can't do anything about that I don't think

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Yeah so the last newly listed item from them was 14 March so more than 6 months ago and the last feedback was 6 months ago too. If they are actually dead I don't know why their listings haven't been ended by eBay or something. It's really insensitive to keep them up imo. No one should have to wonder if they have bought from a dead person or not

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

I wouldn't worry if they are dead or not just escalate your case as soon as you can and get your money back. 

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

@urlittlestar wrote:

Yeah so the last newly listed item from them was 14 March so more than 6 months ago and the last feedback was 6 months ago too. If they are actually dead I don't know why their listings haven't been ended by eBay or something. It's really insensitive to keep them up imo. No one should have to wonder if they have bought from a dead person or not

I think you were right to request a refund, but showing tracking to prove delivery js a way he can win an INR case. So yes, you might still get the item.

i sometimes saw independent websites offering to buy and sell disused ebay accounts, They disappeared quickly. But the traffic probably still exists. So we have that, or account hijacking, or genuine sellers resuming to business after a gap. With any of these buyers may have adopted what is usually the most sensible practice, of not leaving feedback until they know the final outcome. In the left-hand sidebar of a search for his current items, you should be able to change to his sold or completed items.

c.

I'm most inclined to believe in things which happen more than once per lifetime. But if he has died, he isn't contacting ebay, and his relatives may not have access to his account. Some lesser misfortunes make it difficult too. It is difficult to see how ebay could keep up with his demise. Especially since your case should do all you need.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Know it's been a while since I put this up but I totally forgot about it til I went on the forum to ask something else haha! But to the people that replied @gallovidian  and @douglaspuglas  or anyone else that looked at this, I thought I would come back to let you know that I got my money back, rebought the item from someone else, and I'm happy to say my fiance did get it for Christmas! This morning I was looking through my purchase history and saw their name again. Going to their profile I was able to see more feedback, this time a month old. But this was only from sellers. No buyer has left feedback for them for more than 6 months and some of it is negative. It seems like they have stopped selling items, and now only buy, yet still have items listed they have no intention of ever sending. How is this even allowed? Why hasn't eBay cracked down on this person? They are not dead, they have even been leaving feedback for sellers, just....ignoring and avoiding messages from buyers like me, not sending items that buyers like me paid for, and for some reason not even answering eBay who opened a not received case and tried to get in touch. I know I got my money back and he eventually got them item but...Should I report this person to eBay?

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

If the sellers has many negatives there account may have been restricted to buying only on ebay.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Can they actually do that? I think it would make more sense for them to just ban the account tbh

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes,it comes as a warning if there having selling issues and letting down there buyers.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: