special delivery postage refund

Hi, I sold an item for £10.00 and the buyer asked if I would post special delivery for an extra £8.50 which was fine, the item went to the buyers chosen address which was a click and collect, the buyer never picked up the item and the item is now on its way back to me, ebay states that when the item is returned I will have to refund the buyer £18.50, fine I get the item back, but it seems unfair for me to have to fork out for the £8.50 for the special delivery when the buyer chose not to pick the item up. I looked at my return information and there was no way not to just offer a full refund, I was hoping I could reduce the postage from the total, but that option is not there. I would be bankrupt if every buyer did this.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Welcome to the 1 sided Ebay MBG.

Click and collect is like Ebay ,totally safe for buyers but.....

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

jow1995
Conversationalist

Had a buyer who opened a return case as he failed to pick up from click and collect. Item was returned so refund given, total time waster. Very little you can do.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Has your buyer opened a case for an item not received? If so, you will win the case. You can contact your buyer and arrange to resend it if they pay for the postage again. They will need to pay it direct to you via Paypal or another way.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Unfortunately eBay is very one-sided when it comes to selling, as they tend to lean very heavily towards the side of the buyer.  There are some steps you can take, though, which ought to help reduce the chance of this happening again:

First of all, if the item has been returned to you then refund the buyer's money in full (including the extra that he/she asked you to pay for Special Delivery).  However, if the buyer has opened an Item Not Received case then eBay  would close the case in your favour as you could prove attempted delivery of the item - you cannot be held responsible for the buyer's failure/refusal to collect the item.  As a result you would not end up with a defect on your selling account in relation to the transaction.

In the event that the buyer leaves you negative feedback in relation to the sale then get onto eBay Customer Services and ask for it to be removed, pointing out that the buyer failed to collect the item.  You can use the tracking to back this up and prove this to eBay.  That way you ought to stand a better chance of any negative feedback left in relation to the transaction being removed by eBay.  If this were to happen the buyer's feedback would do no lasting damage to your account once removed from your feedback history, and the associated defect will also be removed from your account.

If you have not already done so, I would advise you to add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List before you relist the item for sale again.  If the buyer has messed you about once then what's to say that he/she would not do so again?  Do you really want to take the risk of the same thing happening all over again with the same buyer?

Should you decide to relist the item for sale it may be worth readvertising the item at a slightly higher price than you advertised it for the first time so as to claw back the amount that you lost the first time.  If you set the listing up with free postage then whoever buys the item next cannot mark you down on the postage costs being overly high, as eBay will automatically give you a five star rating for the postage and the question "How reasonable were the postage costs?" will not be available for the buyer to mark you on when he/she comes to leave feedback for the item.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Has your buyer opened a case for an item not received? If so, you will win the case.

This is correct.

If a buyer fails to pick an item up and it gets returned and you have tracking that proves this, then they have to pay again.

If they don't you should win the case as it's down to them not collecting.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: