categories

Does anyone have any idea why the wholesale and job lots categories .. have moved from Business ... and are now under collectibles art ? .. .. the heading says  Collectables & Art - wholesale and job lots .... they have aways been under business ... tried asking ebay , and the didn't seem to understand the problem that someone searching for job lots wholesale tools etc , now has to search in Collectables & Art otherwise nothing shows 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

categories

In search 'joblot tool' the dropdown is showing Collectables (presumably because there is a whole market in collectible tools, certainly always two or three stands at the antique fairs), DIY Tools and Workshop Equipment, and if you click it shows a whole lot more, including Business. 

Not showing in Wholesale and Job Lots though, but I think that because there aren't any tools in wholesale and job lots today!

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

categories

I can see what the OP is saying; the entire "Wholesale & Job Lots" subcategory has been moved from the "Business, Office & Industrial" root category to "Collectables & Art". I agree, it does seem odd.

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

Not showing in Wholesale and Job Lots though, but I think that because there aren't any tools in wholesale and job lots today!

If you navigate - using the categories to the left of the search box - to "Collectables & Art -> Wholesale & Job Lots -> Home & Garden -> DIY Materials & Tools" you will see there are tools in Wholesale & Job Lots. You can also select "Wholesale & Job Lots" from the menu on the right of the search box and enter "tools" as a search term and find them that way. But, if you use the default "All Categories" and search "joblot tools" the resulting category defaults to "Collectables & Art -> Collectables -> Tools & Collectable Hardware -> Collectable Tools -> Mixed Lots".

I think this is an example of sellers listing in the category that is defaulted to in a "best match" search through having no real choice but to do so. This is often not the *correct* category for the item but in many cases listing in the *wrong* category is the only way a buyer would ever find your item using "best match". It seems this has caused eBay's automaton to move an entire subcategory and it's children to a different root category that it has no logical connection with.   

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: