Thinking of reducing my shop level

I'm thinking of downgrading my shop level. We are half way through March and after paying my shop fees I haven't made enough to cover the cost of the items packing materials and postage. So basically I'm working for nothing   If things don't improve then I'll be going down to the basic shop. I'll have to choose what listings I keep because I can't run a business for much longer like this 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels forced into this situation 

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Could you downgrade to a basic shop and rotate your stock? Stopped listings still stay in your ended list for 60 days I think, so you could in theory rotate 3 times the amount of stock you'd normally hold in a standard shop..

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

I downgraded my shop after Christmas to  Basic. Sales in the months before Christmas had dropped and my items we just hanging around, I ended most listings and am now in the process of putting some back on. Sales are still slow but at least I am still making a small profit rather than a loss on the larger shop subscription.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I downgraded my shop to basic last year after my holiday.  I assumed that sales would pick up last year but it didnt.  I had the worst Christmas ever despite reducing prices.  I can't see me upgrading my shop again in the near furture.  Sales are down for most sellers.   Cost of living is too high for many at the moment.  I can't see it getting any better.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Saw this on another post yesterday, definitely looking at this

I think I read (cant remember where) that its a  75 day period, if anyone can confirm this would be appreciated

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

90 days isn't it ?

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

Not sure but you definitely dont want to get that one wrong, thats a lot of work to re-do. 

I was also wondering if minor edits in drafts keep it in the system longer?

After typing this I new it was a familiar figure I have seen at 75 days, and found it

In 'Drafts'  it states 

'Manage drafts

Drafts expire and are automatically deleted 75 days after the last updated date.'

So if ended and sell simlar and saved for later they could sit there for 75 days

But with editing? longer? 

Anyone tried it for longer than 75 days? Hope thats the case, for seasonal sellers that could save them alot of work, Halloween, Christmas etc etc

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

I've kept drafts longer than the old limit of 30 days by just opening them up and saving them.  Not saying this will work now, but it's worked in the past to keep drafts in the folder.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Hi, it's exactly the same for me & ebay's fees total about 20% & in a couple of weeks postage goes up too. Due to the high charges, P & P & cost to make my items, I'm not really making anything either so am also considering downgrading to a Basic shop

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Thinking of doing the same. Just too expensive at second tier. Considering what the Americans get on their basic account 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Postage going up again

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Same here. Between eBay taking more money and the postage it's getting too expensive for me. 
plus with mum passed away on the 2 March just can't be bothered of late.

think I'm going to have to charge for postage as mines mostly free. 

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Hi, firstly I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Mum. 

What made me check this is that I've just made a sale for £25.00 & ebay have charged me £5.76 in final value fees! That's more than 20%, I've avoided charging postage but when it goes up to over £2 I'm going to have to seriously consider adding maybe £1 postage so I don't take as much of a hit. 

Plus I think some ebay customers are of a mind set that everything will be cheap, so am going to boost etsy & downgrade ebay.

Wishing you all the best

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

they charged me £4.00 for a pair of earrings a couple of weeks ago. Which halved the price of them and as they were small parcel postage cost me more 

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: