Seems to be more spoof phishing scam emails doing the rounds again, be wary

As the title, spoof emails are doing the rounds again, checkout the ludicrous offer in mine here 🤣😂

spoof_ebay_email.jpg

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ooh that's a nasty one!

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Yep,  nasty , nasty and SO real looking.

Just as a help to others,  did this just appear in your regular emails / gmail etc ?  

Also,  did it address you as Sir / Madam / or username, but not your real name?

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Arrived to the email address associated with the eBay account, so might be data farming from the business seller details at the bottom of listings.
Only says "Hi Seller," so yeah, no real name or eBay account name or anything like that.

The email sender is putting just "eBay" on top of their email address as the name shown as the sender, so if you looked at it on your phone, you might think it was legit, as the sender would be shown as eBay, same as the rest of the emails you actually do get from eBay.

On a PC it is easier to detect, depending on your email program. You can just hover over the link without clicking it and it shows the redirect link as garbage, as opposed to an actual eBay link if it was legit.
On a phone, you could very easily fall for it and click something as it looks formatted the same as legit eBay emails.

Defo looks more a lot realistic than any I have seen before.

The 100% discount on seller fees was what first made me think it was a scam tho tbh, as that is never gonna happen from eBay 😂

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I found this in my junk mail last Sunday - that's where it stayed.

Not addressed personally and sent sent from an elastic email address.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Some interesting reading in the internet headers of the email.

" 0.2 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level mail domains are different"

There are actually loads of email addresses and IP addresses in the internet headers for the email, so might be forwarded on through a sequence of addresses to try and hide the source.

From what I can see, it looks to have originiated at a .lu email address suggesting it originated in Luxembourg

- Albert Einstein
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks @ducatimondo   and  @ett1954   it's good to know the info we tell peeps  here,  that is, that messages from eBay will Always use your real name,   and no other intro.

Luckily,  you're both very experienced members,   and could sniff out this phis straight away,  but I  agree,  for the less knowledgeable, and those using phones ( how do you people SEE anything on those ? )  can easily see this as a very,  very good scam email and be fooled.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

It's a 100% discount on advertising fees, not seller fees.  Agree absolutely that eBay would never give that level of discount to a business seller.  A private seller, maybe.

eBay ran this PL promotion a year or more ago.  I participated.  I got seven new customers and then five INRs from these customers (RM was working at a snail's pace at the time).  I hastily stopped the promotion but, even so, I got another couple of INRs because of the 'click within 30 days' rule.

I think the PL enhanced visibility brought me to the attention of scam buyers that are on my competitors' BBLs.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent