Sales............stop start, stop start................?

I just don't understand how eratic sales are thase last few months, it goes from an ok day to dead, where in the past it was generally predictable on a weekly basis, ie weekend, Monday anmd Tuesday busy, then getting quieter the rest of the week, then the same cycle.

The inconsistency makes investment and planning very difficult.

Message 1 of 54
See Most Recent
53 REPLIES 53

We are in hard times.

Inflation, poor wages, fuel prices, utility bill hikes.

We lose £66 per month from governnment in April.

Message 2 of 54
See Most Recent

No, like i have stated on here before, that's all well and good if you're selling non essential items, like a handbag, i sell parts for people to repair electrical items, ie save money by keeping their "stuff" opperating, that includes businesses like garages, farms, industrial businesses, power generation, tool hire etc, it's dead, ebay has changed or is getting competition that is killikng it.

Message 3 of 54
See Most Recent

Are wages poor ??? 

Average pay for a full time role is now over 30k, is that low ??  I would imagine most full time sellers on Ebay don't make a net profit of 30k.

Also fuel prices are a lot lower than they were a year ago.

Message 4 of 54
See Most Recent

Zero sale day for me today out of 2000 listings, yet yesterday I have 6, the day before zero sale day again.  Defintatley switched off then on again for a day and yes I do believe ebay do this, god knows why?  I don't get it, we make money they make money but it seems like they don't care about that.  One day you can have loads of items that everybody wants and you sell loads and then the next day you sell nothing because nobody supposdley wants it the day after.

Message 5 of 54
See Most Recent

Strange sales patterns always mystfy me. The last two days things were quiet until ca ching a sale very closely and I'm talking about seconds by another sale from a different buyer in a different area of the UK on a different item. One could say coincidence but it's happened a few times   It's one of life's mysteries like UFOs and haunted houses 

the great eBay mystery 

Message 6 of 54
See Most Recent

You have described the situation perfectly and accurately. One day lots of sales and I begin to think the drought of sales has ended, the next day completely dead. I raised this today on the weekly 'chat' about how everyone's sales are poor. I was told by ebay I need to 'optimise my listings'.  Therefore, according to ebay all sellers who are experiencing the same low sales need to 'optimise their listings'.  Absolute nonsense response from ebay .

I hope sales improve for all of us soon.

Message 7 of 54
See Most Recent

It's the same for us selling food. Everyone needs to eat right? Eating value bread everyday is boring, so people buy nice things like curry sauce to eat... Anyway, Amazon is ticking over nicely for us.

I can only assume it's because eBay has turned off their paid adverts in Google and or Google isn't ranking eBay so highly.

Message 8 of 54
See Most Recent

"... and or Google isn't ranking ebay so highly."

I wonder if ebay execs. poring over their spread-sheets, scratch their heads and say.

"I don't know, these sales figs., up one day, down the next.  It's almost like google has an on / off switch isn't it?

Message 9 of 54
See Most Recent

Whilst I do not profess, by any stretch of the imagination to be a huge volume seller, & by that by that I note some sellers have well over 100 items for sale, some in the 1000's, I average about 70 to 100 at any given time.

My sales are on average about 2 per day, based on data for the last 3 months.

Now I don't know if that in comparison % wise if that is good / bad / average, all I know is that  I average approx 14 items per week.

When I look at the ebay data at things like "Traffic" one week they are all in the green ( Up ) another all in the red ( Down ), but I don't really understand them, if I am honest.

If I click the "Sales " link it says this week I am up 34.1% versus a previous time period, but again I don't know what that time period is.

But it does also say that my average sale price per item is down by 22.9%.

Now that is the bit that is important to be, as what I have noticed is that what I call my lower price items ( Between £30.00 & £60.00 are struggling in comparison to how they used to, but my higher priced items overall still sell quite well.

What that tells me is that, due to the economic situation, rising energy bills, food costs etc, the people who were in the market, for the lower value items, simply are not buying due to lack of funds, but the ones who have money & this recession for want of a better term is not affecting those who buy the dearer items, which tells me they are overall less affected by these things.

In a nutshell, the better off are still buying, but the poor are not.

Well that is how I am reading it.

I note your point on inconsistency, as it used to be the same for me, as in about 80% of total my weekly sales were always on a Sunday, but not now, they seem to even out over the course of a week.

Why, I don't know for sure, but could it be that many more people are working from home, more so since Covid & have more free time to browse during a week as opposed to just the weekend?

As to planning I never really do, I sell take the profit out to cover my bills & other things ( Just like I would if working a 9 to 5 & earning a weekly wage ) & reinvest the original price I paid for those sales back into new stock, which is probably why I rarely as said get above 100 items for sale, as the funds are simply not there to buy more stock to try & boost sales / income even further, but at the end of the day, as long as I can pay my bills & put food on table, that's all that really matters to me.

Message 10 of 54
See Most Recent

Payday weekend = no sales. 

Message 11 of 54
See Most Recent

Same for me too, Some days almost back to what was normal a few months ago and I get all hopeful that things are picking up again and then days of nothing, Unsettling and worrying, I have started selling on another site and thankfully that is much more reliable. Poor eBay it used to be so good and it is now awful and just worrying and such a performance with all thses item specifics ( Most of which have nothing to do with what I am listing ) to list anything, I don't bother with small items anymore off they go to my other site, I do hope things improve for everyone soon, eBay must be losing money hand over fist. 

Message 12 of 54
See Most Recent

I thought I was the only one with this problem of sales stopping and starting

I just went to eBay's help box and typed in "Why have my sales stopped ?" and it brought up this thread in the search results !

I am so fedup of inconstant sales and people just watching my stuff and doing nothing... Even when I reduce stuff by £10 - £20 nothing. Those watchers just ignore the emails that eBay send and carry on watching and watching and watching until I forcefully end the listing and list under "sell similar" only then for the item to sell after the 3rd view !

During the last 2 weeks since listing under the last "80% off Variable selling fees" promo offer I have had no sales happen and very little views  with 70% of my items saying "0 Views"

This is terrible. Totally unreliable. This is not the eBay it used to be when I first started selling on eBay back in 2007 and was getting 3 or 4 items sold every 2 days constantly...

I really wish eBay would stop all this throttling and ghosting of all our Buy-It-Now listings 😞

Message 13 of 54
See Most Recent

Re: Sales............stop start, stop start................?

That would go inline with the times you are visible and not visible in the eBay search...........

Everytime I try to search for something, it's a different set of search results when I refresh the page. I only have time for so many page refreshed before I give up and don't bother.............

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 14 of 54
See Most Recent

@bits_n_bobs_heaven wrote:

Re: Sales............stop start, stop start................?

That would go inline with the times you are visible and not visible in the eBay search...........

Everytime I try to search for something, it's a different set of search results when I refresh the page. I only have time for so many page refreshed before I give up and don't bother.............

Agree 100%.

Message 15 of 54
See Most Recent

I bought some items for work and home this morning, it's easier just searching using Google and buying from independant websites and paying using Paypal.

Message 16 of 54
See Most Recent

Here below is screenshot of my eBay sales bar graph for the the last 90 days, as can be seen the sales happen for a short time (2 days when a couple of items sell out of the blue) and then nothing for another 2 - 3 weeks and then the cycle repeats... it is almost like eBay are controlling my sales with a switch... moment I sell a certian amount of £££ worth of items then eBay shut me down for around 2-3 weeks and then again sales happen and so fouth.

My sales are probably a drop in the ocean compared to some of yours but there is a clear pattern of eBay snuffing my sales and then restarting them again ranging from a few days to a few weeks in some cases.

FireShot Capture 166 - All selling - eBay Seller Hub - www.ebay.co.uk.png

Message 17 of 54
See Most Recent

Not had a single sale since last night at around 10pm..........so no point sitting around.......other things to do....

Message 18 of 54
See Most Recent

@exponential_developments wrote:

Not had a single sale since last night at around 10pm..........so no point sitting around.......other things to do....

It's usually when you don't think about it, then sales suddenly happen !

Message 19 of 54
See Most Recent

im also having these problems and have been reading these threads as they come up. In my case I have noticed when I am looking at my sales and traffic page, if I have day of sales that has more than 50% organic sales the next few days suffer. (100% of my listings are promoted to 2%) I was wondering if this is a case for anyone else?

Message 20 of 54
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: