Royal Mail parcel not arrived and tracking hasn't updated for 8 days

Hi, Royal Mail collected a package from me on 20th November which I sent by Tracked 48. The buyer contacted me to say that the package hasn't arrived yet. When I checked the tracking, the only update is that it was collected on 20th November. No further updates since then. I've searched Royal Mail's website, but all I can find is how to put in a claim if it doesn't arrive by a specified date. I tried to call RM but the wait time was over 1 hour! Does anyone know if there's a way of raising an issue with RM (like you can do with Evri) to ask them to investigate the missing package? Or is the only option to wait the specified amount of time, and then claim compensation if it hasn't arrived? Thanks for any replies!

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

You may find if you call at a different time the wait may be less but it's worth persevering with as the RM have access to tracking and will be to tell you exactly where or what's happened to the parcel.

The tracking number only updates on the system when the item is delivered but the RM will be able to check it in detail for you, I know this as i've just had a lost parcel myself.

If the item is lost then there's an online form to make a claim from.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

RM do have other screens we don't see on their standard tracking page. Personally I find the best time to call RM is either around 8.30am or around 14.00-30 It seems to be the quiter time or the one with not such a long wait! (these times were given to us by a RM operative on a query we had last year!)

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Thank you. With RM tracked services, there are normally several updates to the tracking before it's delivered, so it's unusual for there to be nothing. It isn't even registered as having arrived at my local post office after collection. Yes, I'll try calling RM at a different time - fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Great, thank you - that's very helpful!

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

I think RM are in meltdown.

I handed in a SD package on Saturday morning, destined for Central London, well before the pick-up time.  Today (Tuesday) at 18:30 it's in transit to Croydon.

I reckon that'll be a return because it arrived too late.  

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

In this case, you can open a claim with Royal Mail for the missing package. However, please note that they may require additional documentation such as a receipt or Oba manifest to process the claim. It's recommended to gather any relevant proof of the shipment and contact Royal Mail directly for further assistance.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Hi, really interesting to see this conversation.  I'm in a similar situation, but the parcel hasn't moved for 9 days -  it's apparently at a delivery centre close to where the buyer lives.  Looks like a call to RM is needed.  Really good to be able benefit from other's experience.

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

You will be able to claim against rm on that special delivery for failure of delivery. We are always successful on any failure to deliver next day by 1pm claims. Croydon though have serious issues at the moment my sister and I both posted birthday cards to our brother who is serviced by that depot. Both our cards arrived after 7 days both posted 1 st class one from Cumbria the other locally! 

It's not about rm being in meltdown it's as I see it them selling a fraudulent service which doesn't exist eg first class delivery aim one day.....

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Royal Mail are absolutely in meltdown. I've noticed any parcels to the Brighton and Hove area are taking ages. One customer it took 30 days. YES. 30 DAYS for a 2nd class Large Letter. My local Depo was overflowing with parcels yesterday and they told me that last weeks were still sitting there. Item not received cases are skyrocketing already and it's not even December. 

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Did you resolve your issue??

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

hey is it possible to send an item without a tracking number because I have a delivery from London to Birmingham and it has not been delivered 

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

You do not have to have tracking,  but eBay recommend this ,  for the very reason you are explaining, an item has not been delivered.

If you had tracking for this,  and it stated delivery or even attempted delivery,  then entering the tracking number into a case opened for item not received,  would close the case in your favour no need to refund.

Was this item larger than a letter size and sent by Royal Mail ?   Do you still have that proof of posting ?  At rhe bottom of the proof is a 16 digit number.  It's not a tracking number as such,  but can show if a delivery/ attempted delivery has been made when checked on Royal Mail's Track and Trace online.

This too is sufficient to close a case in your favour.

Always keep those proofs of postage for at least 6 months.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

In my case the parcel never arrived.  I phoned RM after the time it would be considered to be lost and they advised my to apply for compensation - basically told me it was impossible to find the parcel.   I refunded the buyer through ebay and claimed compensation for the selling cost plus postage and this was received within a month.  So at least no-one lost out, just a shame my buyer didn't receive the goods.

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

RM.

RM 24 and 48. I thought it was in hours when really we are taking in days. I have an order coming from south Wales to Scotland. I can appreciate it has to move through two countries to get delivered, but I can get parcels from Japan and China quicker than what it takes for Royal Mail to deliver across the UK. Time to scrap RM. 

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I've got a similar problem. Parcel sent to customer via Royal Mail 48 Hour Tracked on 7 March. Now March 14th and the parcel still hasn't arrived and is only showing as 'Accepted at Post Office', which is has done for the last week. It hasn't even reached the main area mail centre. I have spoken to the drop off (post office), they are blaming Royal Mail, and Royal Mail say that there's not a lot they can do. 

My local Post Office is also an Evri/DPD drop off point. Makes me wonder if it inadvertently ended up put in the wrong sack. In which case, my customer and I can probably kiss that goodbye ):(

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: