Is there a way of feeding back to eBay re: Unfair Defects

Long story short - I have come across a few times a situation where I have sold a lower value item - sent in a RM 2nd class evnevlope (so for 75p), and the buyer hasn't received it.  So no tracking.

I have invariably been able to claim the value of this lost letter from RM but have to wait for 14 days before doing this for them to acknowledge it is lost.

However, a couple of times I have had an impatient buyer who has escalated to eBay way before the 14 days, even though I have asked them to hold fire just for a little bit longer.  Both times eBay have forced the refund (which I don't mind), but also placed a defect on my account (even though I had genuinely engaged the buyer asking them to wait a little longer).  

So eBay have said they won't remove the defect as there is no evidence that I have sent the item (I could provide them with this, but they haven't given me the option).  Even if it was tracked - it would have shown not received so presumably eBay would have still found for the buyer.

I know it's no biggie - but surely eBay and RM polcies are in direct conflict of each other and it is worth another look at how they can be more closely aligned?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

First, if you send items without tracking it is a gamble as you cannot prove delivery at the time of the dispute.

Second, never let it get to the stage where Ebay steps in. Refund within the time scale and then do your investigation with RM.  If you did send it tracked and it was lost, it is up to you as the seller to refund and claim for the item.

You can bring it up at the Wednesday weekly chats 2pm, although don't hold your breath that anything will change.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

This is unfortunately something that eBay simply aren't willing to fix.

They could go a long way towards fixing it by one simple step: when a seller makes a refund, they could add a "repay seller" or a "return to seller" button to the buyer's options.  That way, if the item arrives late, an honest buyer could decide whether to keep the item (and pay again) or return it.

(Ignore dishonest buyers, they aren't going to tell you when the item arrives anyway.)

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: