Global Shipping returns. Who pays return shipping?

Just had my 1st Ebay Global shipping return request.

I excepted the return straight away and provided return address back to the UK from DE, Germany i think and waited.

Buyer sent a message saying that eBay said i would provide a return label.

I replied saying i never had that option when i excepted the return and said according to the Global shipping rules below ebay will refund the return postage.

How do refunds work in case of returns?

If you accept returns, the way that refunds work depends on the reason for the return:

• Buyer changes their mind – the buyer is responsible for sending the item back to you for a refund or exchange. You may either offer free returns or specify that buyers are responsible for the return postage costs. As for the original transaction, you’re responsible for the refund of the item and domestic postage cost only, i.e. the cost of posting the item to the UK Shipping Centre. For a refund of international postage cost please ask your buyer to contact eBay Customer Support and we will be responsible for refunding the buyers international postage cost, if applicable

• Item is not as described (seller fault) – you’re responsible for refunding or replacing the item and for refunding the domestic postage costs. eBay is responsible for refunding the buyers international postage costs.

The buyer much have complained to ebay because now i have a case opened and must provide a Return label or funds for the return.

I can't do a label so have asked buyer to get a price and will send the postage money.

So why have eBay global shipping gone against their own rules and made me pay when it clearly states.

"eBay is responsible for refunding the buyers international postage costs."

I thought this was one of the benefits of Global shipping.

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ebay refund the international leg postage costs paid by the buyer because they are the ones that the buyer paid these costs to (ignoring Pitney Bowes for the purpose of this explanation).  These are not the costs of returning the item to you, they are the costs of getting the item to the buyer in the first place. 

Ebay has missed something out of the extract you have quoted, probably because it works like any other 'item not as described' claim.  What is missing is that you need to either send the buyer a paid for returns label from DE to the UK, or send them the money to buy the label.  In other words you are responsible for the return postage, which is actually a downside of the GSP. 

You misread what they said and have confused the postage to get the item to the buyer with the postage to get the item back from the buyer, the devil is in the detail.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Exactly what reason, in the case, did the buyer give for the return?

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ebay refund the international leg postage costs paid by the buyer because they are the ones that the buyer paid these costs to (ignoring Pitney Bowes for the purpose of this explanation).  These are not the costs of returning the item to you, they are the costs of getting the item to the buyer in the first place. 

Ebay has missed something out of the extract you have quoted, probably because it works like any other 'item not as described' claim.  What is missing is that you need to either send the buyer a paid for returns label from DE to the UK, or send them the money to buy the label.  In other words you are responsible for the return postage, which is actually a downside of the GSP. 

You misread what they said and have confused the postage to get the item to the buyer with the postage to get the item back from the buyer, the devil is in the detail.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

Oh yes i see now.

I thought as it was under RETURNS it meant the return from DE to UK.

Oh dear hope it's not my 1st neg feedback.

I excepted the return straight away and told buyer to post it back.

Reason was changed their mind so maybe that made me think ebay would pay as well.

I wouldn't know how to send a return label for return from DE to UK.

So i have now asked buyer to get postage price.

Not great i have to pay as they changed their mind.

Thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Case says changed their mind but then went on to say it had an issue but didn't ask for replacement.

I would except return for any reason but think they brought up an issue to make sure i excepted the return.

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

How is this a downside to GSP? If the buyer opens a return with INAD as the reason it doesnt matter if you sent via GSP or yourself you would still have the pay for the return, the plus side is you dont refund the part for the international outward shipping as eBay do that, so really you have 'saved' that amount as eBay take the hit. I may have read it wrong but surely GSP is a positive as it costs you less for the mistake or sending the wrong item.

As the OP has said it was a change of mind then they shouldnt be forced to pay for the return, thats up the the German buyer, you just need to provide your address and then its upto them to pay for the return or resell the item.

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Ah, that may be different then!

This bit in bold says that the buyer is responsible for getting it back to you, at their cost, unless you offer free returns.  It looks like your listings state that the buyer pays for returns.

"Buyer changes their mind – the buyer is responsible for sending the item back to you for a refund or exchange. You may either offer free returns or specify that buyers are responsible for the return postage costs. As for the original transaction, you’re responsible for the refund of the item and domestic postage cost only, i.e. the cost of posting the item to the UK Shipping Centre. For a refund of international postage cost please ask your buyer to contact eBay."

So if the reason for the case is a change of mind return then ebay's policy is that the buyer has to pay to send it back for a refund.  You need to contact ebay and remind them of their own policy, but be very sure that is the reason for the case.  A screenshot would help, with the buyer's details removed.

I am a bit concerned that the buyer may have initially told you they changed their mind, but opened a case using item not as described, otherwise I don't understand the case wanting you to provide a label.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Yes that's true i would have lost much more on royal mail postage out.
I personally much prefer GSP to royal mail international.

No custom forms and hidden duties for the customer and i`ve had one dameged and one missing and paid out very quick.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

Buyer said the camera had a dust spot on sensor and didn't like it anyway.

I accepted the return instantly. You can return for any reason nowadays.

Strange that the case said Reason:The buyer changed their mind.

I`m ok to pay the return post, i just miss read that ebay pays for the return.

I have asked buyer to find out return postage cost as i have no idea hot to do an international return label.

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

"Strange that the case said Reason:The buyer changed their mind."

That means the buyer is responsible for the return postage.

However with Global a seller is left on their own to sort matters out.

normally a buyer would have to return tracked at their own cost and a refund would only be actioned once the seller had the item back.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Return postage from overseas for a not as described case is considerably more expensive and difficult to arrange, that's the downside.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

"You can return for any reason nowadays."

You always could.

Ebay sales have uk distance selling laws applied to them which gives the buyer many rights including return for any reason.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Ask the buyer to pay the postage on the understanding that you will refund this when the item arrives.

If you send the money for the postage in advance of the return, you're in danger of losing both the item and the cost of the postage.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I had a change of mind GSP return very recently.  I was not asked to pay return postage.

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Thank you everyone for your answers.
Yes ebay are making me pay even though it was change of mind. I don't have time to argue over £15 postage, spent enough time on this.

I`ve had good dialog now with the customer and the main problem is she doesn't understand the return shipping rules and custom forms. Hence why insisting on a return label but that from the UK would be very expensive to arrange.

I`ve tried to talk her through it, even filling out the CN22 for her but getting stressed.
So i`m just going to refund in full and if she manages to send it back that will be a bonus.

Thank you all...

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

@nigel_paul_wright7557 wrote:

"You can return for any reason nowadays."

You always could.

Ebay sales have uk distance selling laws applied to them which gives the buyer many rights including return for any reason.

In the law, a buyer can change their mind for any reason within 14 days of getting the item only if the seller is a business.  

But if the seller is private they do not have to accept returns for "change of mind", only if item is faulty or significantly not as described. 

However, if a private seller puts "Returns accepted" on their listings (some do, some don't) then they do have to accept returns for any reason.

(Applies to UK and EU at least)

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

its clear and obvious, this is an easy way to get ripped off, when the buyer claims there is a fault which does not exist, the seller is trapped into having to fund an expensive return or having to simply fully refund and just give away the item, in this case (or similar) the seller needs some support as well, or risk losing the confidence to offer sales world-wide.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

distance selling rules for any reason do not apply to private sellers.

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: