February - The Month of Scammers?

Hello everyone - just looking to see if anyone else is noticing the rise of 'scams' this month.

Been on ebay over 20 years, and business seller for the last several and have always come across the odd scammer here and there but this month I have had 4 and just wondered if anyone else has notice a rise?

Ive had two payment disputes open - one for £65 off a 'no longer registered ebay account' after the item shows tracked and signed delivery (which just said problem with transaction?)

Then another for £15 (buyer didnt recognise transaction) luckly I've still got this item but he opened the dispute with 15 minutes of me marking as dispatched - ebay have agreed with this one not seeming to be a legit, account opened 4 days ago, 2 of the other feedback on account says hes done the same to them

Then a couple of INR cases that both have shown signed/map gsp of delivery - these both after the buyers have asked me to sell the item at a cheaper cost which I have refused. Ebay have closed one in my favour - the other cant be escalated until the weekend

Then lets not forget the stupid EDDs which are so far out - sorry for the moan - just wondered if any other sellers are feeling/seeing the same and how you are dealing with it?

Sam 🙂 

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Also forgot to mention buyers misuing returns as well, selecting 'sent wrong item' when its a change of mind return, and all CS say is 'report them' but still out of pocket for cost of the label for 6-8 weeks.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

To be honest dont think it has got any worse - Years ago before RM was your option and tracking (signed for) was an extra £1 the amount of INR was ridiculous as they got refunded and I just accepted that was the trade off for not paying £1 extra for tracking.  Now buyers know that 99% of orders are sent tracked so they just say now say "I didnt get it" and get a refund from their card issuer instead - Fine, I leave them to it as we are covered under Seller protection (even in chargebacks) so I dont really care if they want to try it on it doesnt effect me.  I will be paid out EVERY time as long as tracking shows delivered - Anyone who claims they havent received it can speak to Ebay directly.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Yes I had a buyer the other day buy an item for £15 then open a payment dispute with his credit card wihtin an hour after marking it as dispatched, this has never happened before but luckily I was able to go back to the post office and get it back. If he had opened the dispute a few hours later it would have been on the way to the scammer

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I have had 3 parcels that I sent first class to buyers  on 26 th of feb via royal mail and non of the tracking numbers say they have been delivered, just that an update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver the item .So I now have 3 buyers who have opened cases against me on ebay for non delivery ,so I have emailed the royal mail to ask what is going on as the parcels should have been delivered by now being first class ,but probably the post person delivering the parcels probably didn't scan the tracking numbers when delivering ,it is so annoying as the buyers might have received the parcels but are saying they haven't ,and ebay will find in their favours .

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

The last 1st Class I sent took a week to arrive.  Buyer was angry because she'd paid the postage upgrade.  I'm wondering whether to take 1st Class off my postage policies and replace it with T24.  

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

We are also seeing an incredible amount of delays from Royal Fail. The worst delivery company in the world! 

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Im wondering if this is the same game guy I have an outstanding dispute with? His account is no longer registered - but very much same situation, marked as dispatched within minutes payment dispute opened, lucky still go the item.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

I too am finding the RM delays are getting worse, It wouldnt be so bad if ebay actally stated EDD of first class 3 days and second class 5 days to actually allow for any back log issues. I seem to feel that everyone wants to pay for ebay bargain but wants a amazon prime next day delivery - I've adjusted my dispatch to 3 days and changed my delviery to 'other courier 3-5 days' but still seeing EDD only 3ish days ahead of dispatch.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: