Dispute with payment institution despite buyer previously telling me item received

It's a first for me. I sent an item to the US; the tracking shows it ended up at the buyer's local post office, but USPS never did the final delivery scan (sometimes they forget which is annoying!), however the buyer messages me the same day that it was 'out for delivery' to say they'd received it and they were happy.

Now they've opened a dispute for non-receipt with their payment institution, and I'm concerned if I try to challenge it, I will lose due to the the fact the final delivery scan was never made. I can submit the tracking and evidence it was out for delivery, and I can put a copy of the buyer's email to say they were happy with their order, but is that enough? If I lose the dispute, which hasn't gone through the usual eBay dispute process, will I still be liable for strike against me. I understand I would also be subject to a dispute fee of around £14.
 The item in question was around £80.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Dispute with payment institution despite buyer previously telling me item received

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You can put that information in, but like you, I don't thin that would be enough.  It won't get ebay seller protection as you don't have evidence of delivery.  Is it possible for you to chase UPS to update the tracking?

It's also not clear whether you get charged the dispute fee regardless of whether you voluntarily refund or not. 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

If you claimed for the 'lost' item stating buyer is disputing the delivery, surely the courier would either pay you or have to prove delivery. It's worth a try.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks @papso22  and @cobwebcottage

The only proof I could provide their credit card company is a screenshot of their eBay message saying thanks, and item received, but it's not a conventional email, so there's not meta tag or headers. The tracking doesn't help. I've reached out to USPS to ask why the final scan hasn't been completed and if anything can be done (i.e. can they provide me with proof of delivery). I fear it will take too long to hear back from them.

The item's not insured, so I could only claim back the original postage.

I can't work out if the buyer has made a genuine mistake and meant to start a dispute against a different seller for a different item, or they've seen USPS forgot the final scan, and figured this is their way to have it for free. Their communication has been kind and reasonable, so it did catch me offguard. I've reached out to them - if they don't reply, I will have to assume they're trying it on, and will have little option but to refund I guess.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

It seems that you are doing everything you can. Check the comp though as most will insure for a minimum of £25 plus your postage back. Just be aware of the timeframe to claim. If you are still in time, its still worth a claim as they will investigate and prove delivery (if that's the case). You may be able to send the buyer this info even if it's after the decision and if they are reasonable, they may send you the payment again (if you have to refund). Fingers crossed for you. 

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent