De registration of VAT

We are having a issue with de registration of vat on our eBay account. 
We have provided the information of deregistration from HMRC. This has been forwarded several times now. 
E bay are asking for a exemption letter from HMRC  which we believe does not exist. 
We keep going round and round. 

We are now currently restricted! 
Absolute nightmare. 
Can any one give some advice please. 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

De registration of VAT

@edcarr40 wrote:

E bay are asking for a exemption letter from HMRC  which we believe does not exist. 

It does but only a business that applied for an exemption would receive one. You are not an exempt business; you are a business that has deregistered.

Good luck trying to explain that to eBay.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

De registration of VAT

Excellent answer. These are the sort of things that need to be brought up at the roadshows.  Ebay simply do not understand British tax & vat workings. 

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

De registration of VAT

Following with interest. I have been having the same problem. HMRC asked me to send a letter detailing the problem and they would reply stating that I wasn't vat registered and didn't need to be. I did that and so far have not received a reply but meanwhile Ebay have frozen my account. They say that as last years turnover was over 10 grand I may have other businesses that take my turnover beyond the 90 grand threshhold and have to have confirmation from HMRC.   The 10 grand is just an Ebay arbritay figure which acording to the agent is set in stone and no one at ebay can apply comon sense to allow me chance to resolve the situation. 20 years ago i would have advised anyone running an online business to try ebay but the problems I have had over the last 4 or 5 years with one thing and another I would now tell anyone not to do it .Like you I am going round in circles trying to resolve this. Contact ebay and speak to someone who does not have English as a first language and only works from a script.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent