Call from eBay??

Just had a call on one of the mobile phones linked to the account when eBay made us add them for the OTP's
They are not supposed to be calling them, they are supposed to be calling our landline that is on the account...

She said she was from eBay and was without a doubt and by far, the rudest person I have spoken to for a long time. 

Kept talking over me, then said I obviously sounded like I didn't want to speak to her and just hung up.

This was a call made to our other account and it is not good enough...

marco@ebay dave@ebay 

Is there any chance one of the team could find out who this was and what they wanted, or even if it was from eBay
Call was at 4.04pm

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Call from eBay??

Why did she call you, ie the reason.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Not a clue, she was too busy trying to talk over me to tell me she was removing my rights by recording the call.

By definition of the DPA, she is supposed to ask for consent to do so, and not place upon me a tacit agreement by acquiescence.
When I asked her the reason for the call, she said I have opted in for calls, then continued trying to talk over me and then hung up

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
- Albert Einstein
Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Hi @ducatimondo 

Let me look into it and come back you when I have more info on what happened.

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Nice one dave@ebay appreciate it buddy

- Albert Einstein
Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Any unsolicited calls, especially by an ignorant caller, I just hang up.

I wouldn't wait for them to hang up on me.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

In the past I've had cold callers who say they are from ebay when in fact they are not. When the claim was dug into some said they were a third party working on behlaf of ebay or simply a company who picked up my details from a listing. Haven't had a call recently but I do get spam emails.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

I wouldn't be surprised if this comes back from Dave at Ebay that it wasn't them who called you. Sounds odd behaviour to me, because i would imagine an agent introducing him or herself first, then the reason for the call, not babble on and then hang up on you.

I received two phonecalls a few weeks back claiming to be BT about internet security and i'm not even with BT. First call i hung up but the second call, after playing with him for a bit, i won't say where i went next, but needless to say, never had another call since 😉

This sounds like a scam call to me, because even if this agent was genuine but felt she couldn't deal with you, it was obviously important enough to ring in the first place, so why wasn't it passed to someone else to try, seems the logical route.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

This is when answer machines play an important part, being a ' part' of the family.

Ours is always switched on,  you'll find that cold callers/ scam callers,  only wish to speak to a human not a machine.  Our phone is always ringing, my dulcet robotic tinged tones sound,  and caller hangs up.

Mobile callers?  Unknown number calling,  I don't answer,  then block them.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

When I had a business on here I used an old PAYG phone for the number which showed on my listings. Ebay (and other businesses I dealt with) had my landline number.

So if I got any calls on the PAYG purporting to be from ebay/my bank/Amazon etc, I knew they were scams.

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Hi @ducatimondo 

I found the call and it was a member of our outreach teams that called. Ive escalated the call to be reviewed and provide coaching with the agent if necessary. 

I also asked what numbers they use when reaching out to sellers. They use the main number on the account which in this case sounds like your mobile. 

If you opt out of marketing calls in your contact preferences for that account it will stop the outreach teams calling the mobile. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

dave@ebay wrote:

If you opt out of marketing calls in your contact preferences for that account it will stop the outreach teams calling the mobile. 

For the benefit of anyone having trouble finding where to opt out of marketing calls it is the last option on this page. I'm posting the link because I didn't realise I was opted in until I actually looked for it.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

Thanks @4_bathrooms 

I should have added that in.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Call from eBay??

dave@ebay wrote:

Hi @ducatimondo 

I found the call and it was a member of our outreach teams that called. Ive escalated the call to be reviewed and provide coaching with the agent if necessary. 

I also asked what numbers they use when reaching out to sellers. They use the main number on the account which in this case sounds like your mobile. 

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for looking into this for us.

The main number on the account is not the mobile number, never has been and never should have been.

This is a mess up from eBay when they added the OTP for account verifications.

When eBay added this, they replaced our main number with only a mobile and now only ring the mobile when contacting us.

I have raised this issue before, but it has never been resolved.

This is a clear breach of the Data Protection Act 2018, as the mobile number for each of our accounts was only provided to eBay (the data processor) in order to facilitate the use of OTP's.

Using personal data for any other reason than the intended reason is a breach of the data rights of the data controller, the one whom provided the information.

This is because it was implemented without full thought or planning.

Some probably panicked as they left it till the last minute to implement a change that required the use of OTP's.

So instead of doing it properly, they added it this way for all accounts, rather than how it should have been and should have only done it this way for personal accounts.

As such, we are left with this issue here, where there is only one place on the account for a phone number and the landline, that we are required to have by statutory law, has been replaced with a personal mobile, that was only ever provided to eBay in order to facilitate OTP's

I have asked for this to be resolved in previous weekly chats and also through chat and phone calls directly with eBay.

To date, this remains unresolved. All telephone contact I get from eBay comes through to a personal mobile phone, rather than the landline as it should be.

I would envisage that this is the same for thousands of other business sellers, whom are all victim to lack of forethought or planning from the teams that implement these changes.

eBay are under a statutory obligation to correct this error according to section 46 of the Data Protection Act 2018 as per the link below:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/section/46/enacted

According to the ICO, the organisation that enforce the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018 in the UK, eBay are under an obligation to rectify this without undue delay and in any event, within one month, as the link below:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/law-enforcement/guide-to-le-processing/individual-rights/the-ri...

dave@ebay please could you forward this to the relevant department at your earliest opportunity.

I really appreciate you looking into this for me. At least it answered the question of if it was a legimate call from eBay or a phishing scam.
If it the contact details for business sellers were updated and implemented correctly, it would stop anyone from eBay ever calling the mobile.

Cheers

Russ

- Albert Einstein
Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: