Buyer messaged for a return

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some advice. I’ve not been on eBay long and have just had my first return request. The buyer messaged me and said they bought the wrong item, and asked for my address so they could return it.

I am not sure how to best handle this situation? Should I instruct the buyer to open a return? Does this allow them to pay for return postage? And will my store be penalised because there is a refund?

any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

You can either ask them to open a return, or just give them your address. The problem with eBay returns is that a) they charge a flat fee of something like £3.35 whatever the item is, so if it's a large letter item that's way more expensive and b) if the buyer chooses something like 'not as described' eBay will force you to pay for the label.

Personally I like to keep eBay out of it as much as possible and handle returns myself.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

A simple return like this is best. You give them your address and refund when it arrives.

No involvement of eBay except the refund, wonderful.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

When you make the refund, it is important to choose the correct reason for refunding.  For example, if you accidentally tick the box for "out of stock", eBay will penalise you.  

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: