Any UK sellers experiencing delivery issues or late tracking updates?

Hi All,

Hope you're all doing great. I wanted to check in and see if any of you have been facing any hiccups with delivering items within the UK. Lately, I've come across a couple of problems that I thought might be worth discussing.

Firstly, I've had instances where items simply haven't been delivered at all. It's frustrating for both me and the buyers, to say the least. Secondly, even when items do arrive, they seem to be taking much longer than expected. I'm not sure what's causing these delays, but it's becoming a real headache.

To keep track of my shipments, I've been using eBay's label service, which provides automatic tracking numbers. However, here's the kicker: the items I send rarely get scanned when they reach the parcel office. This lack of scanning makes it nearly impossible for me and the buyers to keep an eye on the progress of the delivery.

So, I thought I'd reach out to you all and see if anyone else has been dealing with similar issues. Have you noticed any problems with undelivered items or significant delays in the UK? And have you experienced the same lack of scanning at the parcel office when using eBay labels?

If you have, I'd be extremely grateful for any insights or suggestions you might have. It would be fantastic if we could share strategies to tackle these challenges. Also, if anyone has discovered alternative shipping methods or other tricks that have helped improve delivery and tracking accuracy, please do share your experiences.

Thanks a bunch in advance for taking the time to read this and for any help you can provide. Together, we can navigate these obstacles and offer our buyers the best service possible.

Thanks,

Dylan

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

I use my oba with royal mail and experience none of these issues, i find it very reliable it is not fault free but find it better than using ebay sevices.

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

I've been experiencing delays with Royal Mail recently. I had a word with my regular postman, who is absolutely great - nothing is too much trouble for him. He confirmed that, one day each week, I will not receive my normal mail, although I should still receive parcels, particularly if these are sent by Special Delivery or other enhanced delivery. This is usually timed for his day off. He also stated that it can mean a backlog of standard mail builds up, and may take a couple of days to clear. So, depending on when it is sent, a first class letter may take 3-4 days to arrive. Royal Mail are apoparently OK with this, even if eBay aren't.

I am in a big city (Glasgow), and if that's happening here, I presume it's happening elsewhere too.

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

Thanks Vinylscot, yes this would make a lot of sense. I am in a small village in West Sussex, life is slow at the best of times.

Shame eBay wont recognise this.

On occasions I have even had my buyer inform be that they have had a request from Royal Mail to pay over due postage when this could not be the case. Funny enough it is always on the items that are very delayed. 

Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Yes, RM is getting a joke for me, rarely delivered within 3 days tracked 48 taking up to 8 days! Shockingly bad service I'm guessing it's because they dropped the prices and have more volume they can't deliver on time?

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

I'm still waiting for two first class parcels sent to me in June.  I doubt they've actually lost them, it's just that my delivery office seems to have decided to rotate deliveries, instead of delivering parcels and letters to every address every day (as they are supposed to), and I think this means a backlog.  If I get 10 parcels a week, and the postman can only carry 3 at a time, that works fine if he's delivering every day.  But if he only delivers to my street on Tuesdays and Saturdays, then there will soon be a pile of parcels left at the depot - until he can persuade his boss to give the whole pile to the van driver instead.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

I've found that when items are assessed for overdue postage, they take a couple of weeks to arrive.  Not only is the customer as mad as a hornet because the item hasn't arrived, they're doubly mad because they've had to pay £3.50 to get hold of it.

My surmise is that when an package is hooked out for excess charge, it's chucked in a pile and is dealt with when someone feels like dealing with it.  No pressure - anytime will do.

The infuriating thing is that my packages never have incorrect postage.  I have a template, I check anything I'm in doubt about.  The excess charges are just a scam to yield revenue to RM.

Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

I use the eBay label service and have not had many issues, I have noticed though that some of the team at the postoffice scan them when I drop them off, others don't. Should they be scanned? I thought they would need to be.

I had one day recently when I didn't use ebay labels, I paid over the counter at the post office for 9 parcels. Out of the 9 there were 2 lost, 1 damaged and 1 very late. Not a good % correct really!

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Yes, same here.im experiencing same problems lately.items either don't come at all or weeks later than estimated date. I always liked eBay as it was reliable and faster than others but about a year now I'm having more and more issues with it.glad someone point it out.cheers

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

I send most of my parcels by 2nd class standard and use the Royal Mail collection service as I live in a small village with a part time post office 

I have found the collection service very reliable   However I've noticed over the last couple of months that the tracking is hit and miss on the website  I currently have 5 parcels which are not showing as delivered however when I look at my feedback two of those are confirming delivery. I would assume from this that the posties at the other end are simply not scanning on delivery unless you have paid for a signed for delivery 

I have also noticed that 2nd class parcels seem to be taking anywhere up to 10 days. My late deliveries have increased from 1 to 6 which is a source of annoyance. Because the tracking isn't reliable it seems I'm relying on honest feedback 

it's a bit of a lottery but thus far has only caused me a few issues. Hopefully this doesn't get any worse 

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

this has been going on now for over 12 months ebay will not do anythink i reqesred they extend the delivery time. amazon .you can set it at 18-21 days delivery .ebay expect a 48 hour parcel in 2 dyas its impossible. if i book it out today it dont get collected till tomorror so how can you even get it deliver when royal cant deliver on time we as a seller are fighting al oosing battle with the dsrs 

Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

I did a little experiment with basic 2nd class large letters. Every one of them led to a claim late delivery or dishonest buyers? Luckily only 6 sent by that method but 100% no delivery.

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

Hi, I've recently started selling items on eBay after an absence of several years. I have now sold around 15 items (badges). Of the 15 I have now had 3 packages that have not been delivered by the PO. I used the post office to send these not the eBay label service. Are the buyers just at it because I used a stamp and not an eBay label.

Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

"not been delivered by the PO"

It is royal mail who deliver PO is where you purchased from. They are now run seperatley. But I do agree with your point.

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

@captainsensible0 wrote:

Hi, I've recently started selling items on eBay after an absence of several years. I have now sold around 15 items (badges). Of the 15 I have now had 3 packages that have not been delivered by the PO. I used the post office to send these not the eBay label service. Are the buyers just at it because I used a stamp and not an eBay label.

I mean, there's every chance of either thing being true. Could be that the items genuinely aren't being delivered and RM don't care because you don't use a tracked service so can't really prove it either way. Could be that buyers know that they are basically guaranteed to get their money back if they complain, because you don't use a tracked service.

Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to use the tracked service from now on.
Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

Since COVID its been down hill with Royal Mail and i don't see any signs of it improving its like they've just come to terms with this is how it is and the Government aint doing nothing this country has become a joke. 

Wheres the support for businesses cause i can't see it. 

Load of *bleep* if i'm honest. 

Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

Yes, lots of late delivery issues.    One buyer recently waited 34 days for her card to arrive.   

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

I have had same problem with selling saying failed mc and also I bought something and that's saying same both labels bought on eBay it's a pain 

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

I can also say that my last 3 purchases were all late by 3days or more.  2 of them were Royal mail.  1 was with a 3rd party (That item was ruined,  water logged) I do like buying on ebay, it's just you never know when and if your going to receive the item you've purchased.  

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: