Where's the birdwatchers?

The feathered variety I mean!

I'm trying to identify some birds which have recently descended on the lake where I walk round every day.

They are around Mallard size, one, (obviously?) the male is bigger. It has a Black head and it seems mostly White underparts. The smaller ones (females?) have Brown heads and a lot less White.

When on the water they don't hold their heads up like Mallard but seem to hold their heads tucked down close to their body and they seem to keep a low profile on the water. They dive for food and are obviously finding plenty. It looks like they are catching fish, the lake was recently re-stocked with small fish but the birds keep well away from people and paddle to the opposite side of the lake if anyone walks round. I can't be sure that it's fish they've caught as they're usually too far away to be sure.

They don't associate with other birds, they don't care for the gulls and I've seen gulls diving at them if they've found food which makes them dive underwater to get away from the gull.

They keep so far away I can't see what the beak is like or see any other distinguishing marks. They all stick together and the numbers vary. There were nine the other day, seven yesterday but only three today. If there's any ice around, they don't come.

They look a bit like Scaups. I'll try to take some pics but the weekend usually has lots of disturbance round the lake so I might not get a pic until Monday.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 100
See Most Recent
99 REPLIES 99

Shurrup you lot, I did nod off but now I’m on again, my mind went blank so I felt it appropriate to express it so there😇
Message 61 of 100
See Most Recent

Three eggs on the Falcons nest now, parents have just done a swap over. grinning

Message 62 of 100
See Most Recent

Mummy osprey been asleep for a couple of hours or so., hope she doesnt fall off her perch, shes right on the edge of the nest xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 63 of 100
See Most Recent

Changed ID again?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 64 of 100
See Most Recent

My first swallow of the season yesterday and this morning had a chiff chaff calling in my garden😀
Message 65 of 100
See Most Recent

Astro! Any sign of your house martins yet?
Message 66 of 100
See Most Recent

Osprey has laid her first egg Smiley Very Happy

Message 67 of 100
See Most Recent

I hope all goes well for her!
I have a snipe nesting outside my front door it’s a beaut
Message 68 of 100
See Most Recent

Second Osprey egg laid overnight. Smiley Happy

Message 69 of 100
See Most Recent

Three eggs on the Osprey nest Smiley Happy

Message 70 of 100
See Most Recent

I think that will be it, now we must wait and see how they get on!
Message 71 of 100
See Most Recent

No Archie...they are a bit late this year. Have yours arrived yet?

Message 72 of 100
See Most Recent

No unfortunately they have taken down the telephone wires where they used to assemble and I have only seen the odd swallow, plenty of food flying around though!
Message 73 of 100
See Most Recent

Oh dear...let's hope they can find a new 'assembly point'! Still no sign of my Martins yet this morning, but my sister, who lives half a mile away from me, said she hear the Cuckoo yesterday. I remember hearing the Cuckoo when I was a little girl...it's wonderful that they are still coming here after all these years!

Message 74 of 100
See Most Recent

Another Peregrine nest at St John's Church in Bath, all four eggs successfully hatched. Smiley Very Happy

Link contains another link to the Norwich Cathedral site.

http://upp.hawkandowl.org/bath-peregrines/bath-st-johns-church-peregrine-live-web-cam-2018/

Message 75 of 100
See Most Recent

All three eggs at the Norwich Cathedral nest hatched successfully Smiley Happy

http://upp.hawkandowl.org/norwich-peregrines/norwich-cathedral-peregrine-live-web-cam-2018/

Message 76 of 100
See Most Recent

That is good news JD Let us hope that when they fledge they don’t fly over a grouse moor!!!

Message 77 of 100
See Most Recent

Archie...have your Martins arrived? There's not a single one around here yet, and there are loads of houses that they nest in each year. I'm getting a bit worried now..they are usually here well before the end of April.

Message 78 of 100
See Most Recent

No not yet, I would be amazed if they don’t turn up by the weekend, have faith!
Message 79 of 100
See Most Recent

Well tomorrow I am off up north to Scotland and will look in on the ospreys whilst I am there, I also hope to see lots of other species during my stay. I will keep you posted!
Message 80 of 100
See Most Recent