The Round Table
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

A bit of snow?

We get a bit of snow and the country grinds to a halt? Countries that get loads of snow must be laughing their socks off at the way the UK behaves when an inch of snow falls?

User avatar by Guide
  • 40 replies
  • 3 kudos

"Modern" words?

Now and again I hear a couple of modern takes on words which are irritating (to me anyway). First, when refering to a building or buildings they used to be also described as "premises". eg "business premises" whether referring to one or more. Now I c...

User avatar by Guide
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos

Wouldn’t it be nice

If folk who visit this forum realised how alone some people are! Why can’t folk talk and discuss things, other than Brexit and the weather! I note that there have been no posts on here since early afternoon such a shame imho. There ought to be life b...

Please don’t forget

During the predicted cold weather to put out some water and food for the birds, they are about to start breeding and should be in really good condition! I have my feeders topped up regularly and today had 10 goldfinches on the Niger seed along with c...

I Got Stuck in a Lift Today

I live in a 9th floor flat.Earlier today, going out for a meal, I got in the lift with a couple of friends.It went down for a short while, then clunked to a stop, and the display said "Not in Service"None of the buttons worked, including the door ope...

Resolved! Is CD around?

Or any other smiley experts? My question is this - is there any way to load an animated gif directly from a computer to the forums/groups here? OK, so we all used to link from Photobucket, but that route is closed (unless you fancy handing over a she...

Why is white bread so

Grey and dense? Is there anyone out there who can recommend a decent white loaf? And while I am at it does anyone have or know of a decent bacon supplier? I would like to make a bacon sandwich as I remember it, one which I would be reluctant to feed ...

Syria.

Just watching the news, and the terrible bombing in Syria. The suffering of those children is unbelievable. But one thing escapes me...the war in Syria has been going on for seven years, so why are people continuing to bring babies into the world whe...

A Charity craft project.

Are there any crafters/needlewomen (or men!) on here who would like to take part in a Charity craft project? It's for Combat Stress, a very worthy cause. Just a brief outline......During WW1 injured soldiers were given stuffed calico hearts, which th...

Anybody felt a tremor today?

An earth tremor has been reported over parts of Wales, SW England and the Midlands. Felt it here in Cheltenham, only for a few seconds but enough of a shake to rattle the windows.

Would you object?

To an ambulance parking outside your house in an emergency? Someone in the West Midlands did and hurled abuse at the paramedics for doing so!What on earth drives people to react like that, is it frustration, protectiveness, or simply a sign of the ti...

Is He in the Wrong Job

Just had a grocery delivery from a well known supermarket I saw the van arrive on the CCTV, he rang my intercom, then told me he has a lift phobia and can he put it in the lift and send it up.No problem says I, I do like to respect others' phobias. I...

PayPal problem

I have a problem which I hope someone may be able to help with. I am trying to buy something online..not from EBay..and pay by PayPal. I go through the whole process until I get to the last step which is to click on the button to pay. When I click on...

Potholes.

After the Winter weather, lots of roads have potholes. Round here I've noticed that when some are "repaired" they seem sunken, not level with the road surface and wondered why that was. Today, I found out. At half past eight I was startled by a sudde...

User avatar by Guide
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos

This Oxfam Scandal

Over the years Oxfam has been at the forefront of disaster response throughout the world, Now its very existence is under threat due to the inappropriate behaviour of a few individuals. I doubt that there is a company or charity anywheee in the world...

Times tables?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43046142 Do you remenber your times tables? Remember having to recite the tables out loud? Do they still print the tables on the back cover of excercise books? I think kids should be taught the tables, once learned...

User avatar by Guide
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudos

Love Letters.

Over the weekend, my newspaper reported that Joan Bakewell had donated a collection of love letters to an archive where they will be in the public domain, for anyone to read. The letters were written to her by Harold Pinter, with whom she conducted a...

Born evil?.

Nature or nurture?. The past history of Jon Venables and his recent arrests made me think evil was ingrained in him, hard to believe such young children would think of torturing and killing a toddler, so is it in them from birth?.

Is this right?

This afternoon I chatted with a chap I sometimes see out walking and during conversation he said that now he was 75 he didn't have to buy a TV licence. I said he was lucky not to have to do so but that it was a nuisance that as he was over 70, he had...

User avatar by Guide
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos

Katie Hopkins detained in SA

Katie Hopkins has been prevented from leaving South Africa for spreading racial hatred in the country. Now I’m no fan but why is it that in a country where as she puts it Police cannot respond to the intimidation of white farmers because they are at ...