Should Shamima Begum be allowed to return to the UK?

Your thoughts, Peeps?

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have heard her interview on radio quite a few times now and my answer to the question is, do NOT let her back into this country.

She has no remorse, thinks what happened to isis is awful and only wants back into this country so she and her baby can sponge off the state.

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

You just beat me to it Astro.😁

As she’s showing no remorse , I would say no, if it wasn’t for the innocent baby.

She was very young when she went but has no regrets.

I don’t think she should be allowed back.

The baby needs looked after though, so it’s a hard decision.

Message 2 of 32
See Most Recent

Hard but, she made her bed and on it she must lie.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 32
See Most Recent

This is a difficult one, on the one hand she has openly and physically gone to extreme lengths in order to support isis, on the other hand she was only 15 at the time and as such was not considered to be an adult! That she wishes to come home, heavily pregnant , halving already delivered and lost two children means she is probably emotionally all over the place, it also remains to be seen whether her family will welcome her back! My view is that because of her age at the time she left she ought to be given a chance, her experiences are something that hopefully she can use to educate others, Assuming she isn’t completely traumatised by the events she might just be the type of person who could actually contribute something positive to society, so I say let her come home and see if she can respond to help!
Message 4 of 32
See Most Recent

She's shown no remorse about her actions and she said she'd seen the heads of those beheaded in bins and wasn't fazed by it.

That she's already lost two children and is now expecting a third shouldn't make any difference because she was quite willing to marry a terrorist and bring children in to the world that she couldn't care for and look after. It seems to be the practice "out there" to have as many kids as possible and if they lose some... well, they've more left!!!

We, in this country have demonstrated many times that we're willing to help the disadvantaged and almost forgive and forget but how have they repaid us? By biting off the hand that fed them?

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 32
See Most Recent

She wants free health care, and her child to grow up in, a country that she despises. Anyone who is not fazed by the sight of decapitated heads has no place living in this country. She may be British, but she hates Britain. She has rights, they all know their rights, but none of them know their responsibilities. Leave her where she is, and any NHS money that would have been spent on her and her child, could go to someone who deserves it. If they do allow her to come home, then the child should be taken away from her immediately and permanently.

Message 6 of 32
See Most Recent

The question posed is, “Should Shamima Begum be allowed to return to the UK?”

I don’t see how she can be stopped from attempting to return.  The real question in my mind is that she is currently in a refugee camp in Syria so how is she going to be able to return?  There are no consular facilities in the region.

I don’t believe the UK should spend any money or commit resources to facilitate her return.  However if she does manage, as a 9 month pregnant woman, to cross international borders and present herself at a British Consulate or even more unlikely at the UK border then as she is a UK citizen I do not see that we have any option but to allow her entry.

This is an unlikely scenario but if that is what happens then there are laws in place to deal with the situation.

Message 7 of 32
See Most Recent

Firstly, she is 9 months pregnant - no airline in the world will allow her to fly with them irrespective as to who she is.  Those are the rules!

Secondly, she is (unfortunatley) a British Citizen and as such is fully entitled to return to this country.

Third, should she ever return the likelyhood is that she will be arrested at the point of entry and subject to the full weight of the law.  This would mean a custodial sentence of some length and her child placed in the care of social services.

This is all academic however as she has to firstly get back to this country.  As Syria has no consulate or any British Official representation she would need to leave Syria and get to a country where there is a British Embassy or Consulate first.

As she is in a refugee camp this is highly unlikely in the extreme.

Surprised that The Times even bothered to run the story (note to self, cancel Times subscription and get Daily Telegraph delivered).

Message 8 of 32
See Most Recent

A prediction, a quote from the DM:-

Shamima Begum will arrive back in Britain on a private jet, chartered at tax- payers’ expense. After a tearful reunion with her family, she will be whisked off to the BBC and interviewed sympathetically on the Today programme about the British and American ‘aggression’ which caused her to join ISIS with her two friends Amira Abase and Kadiza Sultana. We will hear how following her journey she was forced to cower in fear as Coalition bombs rained down indiscriminately on innocent women and children. Ms Begum will talk about the terrible racism and ‘Islamophobia’ she suffered growing up in the East End of London and how she came to believe she could only find true safety and fulfilment living in the self-proclaimed Islamic State.

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 32
See Most Recent

There is a poll on talk radio on this at the last count 97% feel that the girl should not be welcomed back which is pretty decisive, can’t help thinking that her lack of remorse has much to do with it along with her desire to gain access to the nhs, so theta that then!
Message 10 of 32
See Most Recent

Opinions are hardening? Last night a poll on Sky New had 78% saying she shouldn't be allowed back.

If she'd been contrite, maybe people wouldn't be so opposed to her returning?

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 32
See Most Recent

I feel sorry for her unborn child.
Message 12 of 32
See Most Recent

I have heard her interview on radio quite a few times now and my answer to the question is, do NOT let her back into this country.

She has no remorse, thinks what happened to isis is awful and only wants back into this country so she and her baby can sponge off the state.

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent

NO

Message 14 of 32
See Most Recent

She gave up Her UK citizenship, when She obtained a Caliphate ID card

She was No longer British and became a citizen of that Islamic 'State'

She can rot

Message 15 of 32
See Most Recent

I was in two minds at first, mainly because of the baby, but the more I've seen of her case  since, the more I'm convinced she shouldn't be allowed back.

Message 16 of 32
See Most Recent

Heard another interview with her this morning at 0600 on my way into work ! I quote "people of the UK should be showing sympathy to me" . Why the bloody hell should we.

Her attitude stinks in my opinion and now she has the audacity to tell us the people of the UK how we should feel towards her.

Message 17 of 32
See Most Recent

I think she's lost any sympathy now with her comparisons of the bombings in Syria and the terrorist actions here (Manchester Arena). She said:-

"But to kill people like women and children just like the women and children in Baghuz who are being killed right now unjustly by the bombings - it's a two-way thing really because women and children are being killed back in the Islamic State right now.

It's kind of retaliation. Their justification was that it was retaliation so I thought, okay, that is a fair justification." 

Live long and prosper.

Message 18 of 32
See Most Recent

Latest news is that she's to be stripped of her UK citizenship!

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 32
See Most Recent

She was able to be stripped of Her UK Citizenship -

Because She has dual UK-Bangladeshi citizenship

Hard as it is to say -

Well done Sajid Javid 

Message 20 of 32
See Most Recent