Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

My wife and I applied to our housing association for a smaller house / flat on the ground floor as my wife has had a new knee and will need another. As we have to climb two flights of stairs to get into this flat we thought they would put us maybe in the middle of the list, also there are three bedrooms in this flat so it is well under occupied as there is only the two of us and our small dog now living here.

We have been put in group four so there are three groups above us will be offered homes first and guess who is in one of the groups to be offered homes first ! families that are over crowded.

Surely it would make more sense to get houses back that are under occupied from people that want to move so they could then offer those houses to people who are over crowded.

Who knows how the minds of the people who allocate houses works but I would have thought a bit of common sense would have prevailed and someone thought why not get some bigger houses back so we could move over crowded families then we could offer smaller houses to others and get larger ones back.

Message 1 of 29
See Most Recent
28 REPLIES 28

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Intelligence and Housing depts

don't seem to be on the same planet, never have been

Message 2 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope your Wife is doing ok with the New Knee @dark_castle1. I have had both mine done. Sorry can't help on the HA problems as I have never had to deal with them. But on the Stairs tell her 'Good Leg First ' is the way to go.  

Message 3 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

our local council  pay people to 'downsize' have you looked into 'downsizing' as an option?

Message 4 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi

There are various sites where you can get a mutual exchange/swap.   They are even on Facebook.

Have you investigated those?   Your local Council may well have such a site online as well.

I do believe these sites are for Housing Association as well as Council tenants.

Message 5 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Just to add.....

I agree with what you say but i do know that some local authorities/Housing Associations  including ours......do not like putting children in flatsor maisonettes so getting a mutual exchange could be the way to go.

Message 6 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Just had another light bulb moment.....

I take it that you have your own Drs on your side?

Get a medical report if you can from your Drs or even the hospital  as to your needs and submit it to your Local Authority /Housing Association  to try and push you right up the list for a move.

The Local Housing Associations and Authorities do work closely together.

Many years ago i lived in a beautiful Housing Authority 2 beds  flat.  Block of 3 on the top floor.     Then i had my son.     When he was 18 months old  (now 28 years)  i wanted to move for a garden etc.     I actually got a mutual exchange to a lovely house which i went on to purchase.   (Yes i know people purchasing Council house is a tin hat discussion)

Message 7 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

There doesn't seem to be much sense in housing policies in this country. Recently, my local junior school was closed down (one of many..they are closing down all the ones with decent sized playing fields ..so they can build more houses on the land.)  Although local people were angry and disappointed at the loss of the school, some people thought that there might be an upside in that some younger people who were born in the area and were struggling to find homes,might be able to have a home.

There are loads of older people around here, some living alone in 3bed houses, who would have jumped at the chance to move to a little bungalow with a small patch of garden, and be able to stay in the area they have lived in all their lives. This wouldfree up quite a few larger properties for families. This was suggested by our local councillor, that the planning permission for housing could be given on condition there would be some bungalows for older people..thus freeing up some larger homes.

Instead...the developers have built 2 and 3 bedroom homes, and flats, a large percentage of which are not for housing associations, but are for sale. They are not quite finished yet, but I will be very interested to see who will be living in them, and how many local people get a home. It has been suggested that most of them will be purchased by people from the Bristol area, who will be working in a large new hospital being built a few miles away. Housing in South Wales ischeaper to buy than in Bristol. Our local community is being broken up.

Is it not time that these large developers are curbed, and told to build what is desperately needed, rather than what will make them the most money.

Message 8 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

I totally agree with you

Message 9 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

“Is it not time that these large developers are curbed, and told to build what is desperately needed, rather than what will make them the most money.”

Isn’t a more pertinent question, why can’t local councils be given the ability to raise the funding to develop their land themselves?

That way they decide what is needed and how many are needed.

Tens of thousands of new homes are being built within a 10 mile radius of where I live, (Horley/Gatwick/Crawley/Horsham), - the number of these which are for housing association use is less than 5% and the 10% or so of “affordable” housing in this number are only “affordable” if you can finance at least a quarter of a million!

Message 10 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Individual area councils and surrounding Housing associations seem to have their own individual
policies, it also depends on what and how much of each type of housing stock they have that determines who gets what.

It is different now to how it was 30 odd years ago, there is far less stock and a greater population to house now and even the more well off councils are having to juggle between who is more in need of what.
Message 11 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

I am 90% sure that in order to get permission to build new housing estates a certain proportion of the site  by law must be for socal housing...albeit as you say it is a very small proportion

Message 12 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree with Creeky, councils need to be able to develop their own land and borrow accordingly, however it would also be a good idea if government chipped in some cash to assist them.
I have asked this question before but would like to know who is buying up all of the houses currently under construction, and where have they been living?
Message 13 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

Well two of our friends have adult children who have just purchased their first homes.......

They stay at their parents and save like crazy when they start work for the deposit and then purchase.  

Where i live i would say the majority of any new housing sites are not first time buyers properties.....not when they start at around £225,000

for a tiny 2 beds one.

Becoming more popular, from what i can see is..........starter homes where you can part rent and part own.  Shared ownership.

Message 14 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

My local council (Labour run😖), would sell their Grannies to raise a fast buck. And the word 'foresight' doesn't register in their vocabulary. Some of their past decisions have been breathtaking in their stupidity.

Message 15 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

pixie, yes we asked about downsizing and were told in no uncertain terms we will just have to go on the list and wait like everyone else !

Arefugee family of two parents and two children, has moved into a place around the corner from us, a flat with two bedrooms which next year will not be suitable because of the age of the children as they are a boy and girl.

Would it not have made more sense for the housing association to ask if we wanted it and that would have left this house free for a family more suitable to the size of place. Now next year the will put that family on the overcrowded list once again in a group above us and the housing will then be trying to find a place big enough for them and may not have one then. If they then asked us if we wanted it we would refuse just to be awkward and reward them for their stupidity.

As Al says intelligence and housing does not compute.

Message 16 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

1956glyn, we put all that in our application and the association is coming out in the new year to assess my wife, hopefully then we will be moved up a group. In all honesty the flights of stairs are now becoming an obstacle for me also but I do not care about the impact they have on me, all I care about is how they are impacting on my wife and lowering her quality of life as some days she just cannot face climbing those stairs and stays in.

My wife is all I care about and how she is coping, I worry about her when I am at work in case she has taken a tumble on the stairs.

Message 17 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

“Is it not time that these large developers are curbed, and told to build what is desperately needed, rather than what will make them the most money.”

Isn’t a more pertinent question, why can’t local councils be given the ability to raise the funding to develop their land themselves?

That way they decide what is needed and how many are needed.

Tens of thousands of new homes are being built within a 10 mile radius of where I live, (Horley/Gatwick/Crawley/Horsham), - the number of these which are for housing association use is less than 5% and the 10% or so of “affordable” housing in this number are only “affordable” if you can finance at least a quarter of a million!

Part of the problem is that many "Housing Associations" are so entwined with the Local Authorities and the developers they have completely lost sight of what a housing association was meant to be.

My mum lives in a flat in what was originally run by an association set up by the local authority when housing was taken away from them.  It was small and local and specifically for Sheltered and Residential Care Homes, separated from the general housing stock so the council couldn't fill all the vacancies with it's nominees who didn't need the same level of support.

As time has gone on that idea has also gone.  The local Association was first absorbed into the larger more general one.  It was then merged with others in a cost cutting exercise and finally taken over by Orbit Group.  Orbit calls itself a group of Housing Associations but is, in fact, a property developer.  More interested in expanding its empire by concentrating on New Build and cost cutting everything else to facilitate that aim.

The block where my mother lives once had a residential warden/manager, available to stop problems before they became serious and support the residents.  When she retired, her flat was rented out and she was replaced with a full time manager working office hours.  That position was later down-graded to part-time with one manager covering several schemes.  The latest cost cutting means there is no manager and the residents get a twice weekly "Welfare Visit"  --  a knock on the door to ask if everything is alright.  If it isn't they are referred to another agency.

The only way to get a flat in the block is through local council nomination and in another block, where there has been no manager since the last one left and was replaced by twice weekly visits the council has dumped several "problem" tenants.  Easy to do as there is no manager to reject their application as inappropriate.

Meanwhile Orbit is celebrating its partnership with Housing England to build ever larger new build developments, its existing tenants can fend for themselves.

Effectively Orbit is just the old Council Housing Dept. under a different name.  The staff hop back and forth between the two as part of their career path, everything is run to "Council Standards", meaning they are as inefficient and wasteful as they ever were.  Lights go out regularly for a week or more.  The entry-phone didn't work recently for nearly a month meaning carers had difficulty getting into the building.

In reality there are two organisations in one.  A small underfunded one dealing badly with the day-to-day running of existing schemes.  The other presided over by the usual tier of remote, over-paid empire builders, running a property empire (and probably hoping to privatise it before they retire taking millions with them when they go). 

The reason there are the rigid procedures surrounding allocations and transfers is supposed to ensure transparency and fairness, but equally it rules out any use of common sense or logic.  Most importantly, when things go wrong the Association can say "Nothing to do with us  --  we did everything by the book,  we're not to blame for anything that goes wrong."

Message 18 of 29
See Most Recent

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm sure a while back a thing, promptly named a 'bedroom tax' supposedly intended to push people who were under occupying, into smaller homes thus freeing up the larger ones for those who needed them.

Perhaps it was merely a dream after eating too much strong cheese.

Or could it have been, heaven forfend, simply a way of cutting the welfare bill with no real intention of helping those who needed it.

Rehousing ,,,,,,,,,,,

I must have eaten the same cheese banker as I was sure I had heard that as well, although it does not affect us at the present time as we pay full rent. We just want a smaller house on the ground floor so my wife can cope better and not feel a prisoner some days when both her legs are bad and the stairs become a mountain to climb.

Like you I feel it was a way of reducing the welfare bill because even if some people did want to move and asked to move but could not find a house suitable  they were still hit with the so called bedroom tax.

This I always thought totally unfair because if someone has asked to move to a smaller house why should they be penalised if there are none available.

As someone stated previously in this thread yes houses are being built, so called affordable housing and houses for rent but the houses for rent are generally 3 or 4 bedrooms, exactly what people are trying to move out of. More profit for developers that is the bottom line with no exception in my opinion.

Message 20 of 29
See Most Recent