Raw Milk good or bad yes or no?

I am not very clued up on this Brexit thing but I assume if we leave then we will be free from a lot of stupid rules and regulations where the sale of milk is concerned.

On is that we can please ourselves what regulations we make regarding the sale of pasteurised and unpasteurised milk.

What are your thoughts? should we get rid of any pasteurisation laws and just allow all milk farmers to do what they like when producing and selling their milk. I saw one report today that a certain number of raw milk samples were tested for bacteria, most past but one was found to have bacteria, but they all were graded fit for human consumption.

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Well now, the brother of a girl I knew died at 14 from drinking raw milk. It was TB. You can also get Brucellosis (amongst other things) from unpasteurised milk so I think I'd rather stick with pasteurised thanks.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

I love raw milk and have drunk it frequently as have my children! If anything I have great faith in the use of green top as we call it and believe that it builds up your immunity, certainly appears to be the case around here!
Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

People have drunk raw milk since the stone ages.  They still do in many countries.  It never hurt us, and it doesn't hurt them. Don't know if I fancy it though. 

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

I don't think I would like to drink unpasteurised milk....I don't like the idea that there may be bacteria and hormones in it. And the cows are pumped full of antibiotics too. I'm not sure what the pasteurisation process does, apart from removing bacteria...I will have to look into that!

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Apparently, pasteurisation just removes harmful bacteria. Cows that have been given antibiotics or hormones are removed and their milk not used.

Plant based milk is very nice..I like Almond milk and Soya milk, but I do use a small amount of cows milk each day to ferment Kefir grains. Kefir makes a probiotic drink which is extremely good for you. 

It will be interesting to see what happens to milk regulations after Brexit.

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

I really don't see anything changing.  Whatever they do to our milk is obviously done for safety reasons, and I don't see them going back to  "unsafe" just because we leave the EU.  I drank british milk for 30 years before we even joined the EU ( or common market as it was then).  There were safety measures in place then, so why wouldn't there be now.  Leaving the EU doesn't mean we will be going backwards. 

Astro - does almond, soya etc taste like cows milk ?  I've never tried it.  I wouldn't mind using it but I don't want to spoil the taste of my cuppa. 

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Soya goes weird in coffee (like a suspension, when I tried it, although strangely adding more of it cured that). I quite often have almond milk at a friend's house and that seems fine in both tea and coffee and no strange taste.
No doubt Astro can tell you more.
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

I don't put it in my tea...I use coffee mate in my tea! Soya does go a bit weird in coffee, so...coffee mate again. If I have cereals hot I use cows milk, but the Soya is ok on Corn Flakes. I hope they don't muck about with the regulations....I don't see any need to really, and as Suzie said..it would be a backward step.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

One of my sons uses almond milk,he said try some in your cup of tea.......bleedin horrible,just as well i didn't buy any

We are many,They are few
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

@june-spoon28 wrote:

I am not very clued up on this Brexit thing but I assume if we leave then we will be free from a lot of stupid rules and regulations where the sale of milk is concerned.

On is that we can please ourselves what regulations we make regarding the sale of pasteurised and unpasteurised milk.

What are your thoughts? should we get rid of any pasteurisation laws and just allow all milk farmers to do what they like when producing and selling their milk. I saw one report today that a certain number of raw milk samples were tested for bacteria, most past but one was found to have bacteria, but they all were graded fit for human consumption.

"I am not very clued up on this Brexit thing"

Really ? Wow !!

The Pasteurisation of milk was introduced in the UK in the late 1950's, early 1960's following an outbreak of TB.

The UK joined the European Economic Community (as it was then) in 1973.

Ergo, the Pasteurisation of milk had nothing to do with the E.U.

Neither did bendy bananas.

And it's passed, not past

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

I remember that when Pasteurisation first took hold, lots of farms had little signs on posts stuck in hedges  with the name of the Dairy they sold their milk to and on the signs it said "TT milk" = Tuberculin Tested.

TT milk was sold in the '50s and I don't know when it became mandatory but it was long before we joined the EU.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Whatever, this person needs to cut down on the Raw Milk

Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Pasteurisation of milk was brought in before dairy cattle were regularly checked for tuberculosis. 

I have no ‘fear’ of drinking raw milk anymore than I do of eating eggs.  Having said that I wouldn’t give it to either the very young or the very frail.

We often get raw milk and cream from a local farm together with our eggs.  The cream certainly has far more “taste” than the supermarket pasteurised version, whether or not that is down to the processes the supermarket cream goes through I don’t know.

I will never forget about the time when I was first married and I bought a butchered lamb from a local farm and Mrs C couldn’t understand why there were only two legs!

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

I will never forget about the time when I was first married and I bought a butchered lamb from a local farm and Mrs C couldn’t understand why there were only two legs!

Why were there only 2 legs?Man Sad

I am old enough to know that the pasteurisation came in much sooner than the joining of the EU, I suppose it wasn't a very good topic starter with that particular point, but the EU itself has resulted in many many restrictive and unnecessary rules in my opinion and milk has to be one of the products affected. Milk quotas for a start, which resulted in perfectly good milk being poured down the drain. Such a waste.

I love raw milk, much tastier and the checks that could be done to make sure the herd is healthy and the milk being produced is free from harmful bacteria could be easily implemented in my opinion, although I am no farmer.

I prefer raw goats milk myself and as far as I am aware there are different laws for that which did become more restrictive because of the EU.

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

You get two leg joints and two shoulder joints from a lamb 🙂

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Hehe 😂
Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent