Fixing things that didn't need it?

Don't you find that these days people are constantly meddling and changing things that didn't need "fixing" or changing?

Down all the years I've used ebay, they have been prime examples of that and many times they've made changes that've messed up other things and we used to almost dread the Friday "updates".

To counter the criticisms, the meddlers have just dismissed the complaints as "Oh, people don't like changes". They're right they dont because most changes weren't needed and were unasked for. Asked for changes get ignored.

A recent update to my browser, Waterfox caused me a lot of problems. It affected my email programs and often, the whole system "locked up".

However, the update to Watefox a couple of days ago fixed all the problems I'd been having so I wonder what had provoked the programmers to change things in the first place?

You're not supposed to use your hand-held mobile phone while driving or even sitting in the driving seat with the keys in the ignition so why have "modern" cars got umpteen gadgets which have to be fiddled with when driving? Nothing's "simple", lots of things have a menu and you've got to look at a screen..... They never learn. If there's an easy way to do something, they'll promote the convoluted way.

What do you find?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

The previous version of WF 56.1....   was the worst they ever released

WF, was set up to give Firefox users a modern Browser that didn't have all the newfangled, bells and whistles, that wasted what had been an amazing browser, it still used Firefoxs structure code.

When Firefox totally changed their Browser, from the ground up, Waterfox stuck out on their own, seemed to work, but for some crazy reason they started to add, 'improvements', copied from Chrome/Windows browsers.

Users have been complaining on the 'Official' users Forum, (which is ONLY on REDDIT) about the last few releases, but as You say the last release 56.1..... was terrible. 

I'll stick with it for now, as 56.2 seems to be stable (though my

But I have been using Opera a lot more - a good browser, but yet again, only after you strip out all the useless extras, that like FF, seem to be copied from the Windows Phone/Tablet browser.

It seems the Young and the Lazy, want to be spoon fed from one page.

Using Your browser to find your own News, in depth searches or anything not 'Pushed by Goggle or your ISP, seems to be only for Us old dinosaurs

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

I've been wondering how you found the last version of WF. As of now with the latest version, all the problems have gone, It's a job to know where to go for a reliable browser that's fre of all sorts of junk you don't need?

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Don’t know why Tim Berners-Lee had to mess about with the internet and invent the World Wide Web

What was wrong with bulletin boards?  They were so simple.

The thing is we, nor those making them, know if changes will be for the better until those changes are made.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

More things that didn't need fixing? Loads more things to go wrong? The European Commission wants the following implemented by 2021 for new cars:-

• Advanced emergency braking – a system to automatically bring the car to a halt if it detects a crash is about to occur
• Alcohol interlock installation – the ability to place a breathalyser device in the car’s ignition, preventing serial drink-drivers from getting behind the wheel
• Drowsiness and attention detection – detects when the driver’s attention begins to waver and warns them to take a break
• Accident data recorder – much like an aircraft ‘black box’, this records data such as speed, GPS location and time in the event of a collision
• Emergency stop signal – automatically flashes the hazard warning lights in the event of an emergency stop
• Improved seatbelts
• A larger head impact zone with safety glass for greater cyclist and pedestrian protection in a crash
• Intelligent speed assistance – a system that can be overridden to limit speed based on traffic sign recognition
• Lane keeping assist – alerts the driver if they stray out of their lane
• Greater occupant protection in the side impact test.
• Reversing camera or sensors

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

They all look sensible to me or would you also get rid of ABS, Traction Control, Fuel Injection, Catalytic Converters, Parking Sensors, Automatic Headlights, Eye Level Brake Lights and . . . . . . . - all common features on most new cars.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

I used to think I was argumentative but I think I'm put in the shade by creeky?

Yes those things are useful and sensible BUT.... are they really necessary? A more useful "improvement" would be just to ram home the need to be aware of others and the need to abstain from any intoxicants if driving.

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Of course they’re not necessary - lots of things aren’t necessary - are cars necessary? - no, what stupid person came up with that idea.

Progress, bah humbug!

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Ha-ha, awkward old....******...........  The thing is also..... what's the point of making cars that can do over 120MPH when the speed limit's 70MPH?

If they want to make changes why not make cars which have excellent visibility, are nice and comfortable and have all the useful controls within easy reach and simple to use?

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

The point?  What would some men and Jeremy Clarkson have to drool over?! stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

I suppose decent acceleration is useful should you find yourself in a tight spot, but I don't know why some cars are made to have very high top speeds apart from being flashy and appealing to boy / men racers.  The number of times some of my male friends brag about doing high speeds over a ton along dual carriageways etc. .......... I just think of them as describable by a 4 letter word.  People who drink over the limit and drive, even worse.  Some people need fixing.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

As a group they look reasonably sensible to me 

Well strange thing is some people go abroad and take their vehicles where the speed limit may not be the same

Along with a higher top speed is usually a greater acceleration.

I'm sure you could ask people to don't do this or whatever, but like those who deal in say old tat, they prefer cash and don't want to keep records. 

funny old world

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

My old "F" reg. car had excellent visibility but sadly no matter how much TLC I gave it, it had to go last year.  Replaced it with an 07 model.

The wipers have about ten settings, none of which is ever quite right.   More seriously the panoramic windscreen has blind-spots on both sides that can literally hide a bus  --  great if driving in a straight line on a motorway but very dangerous for town driving.

The only thing that keeps the numbers of accidents down is that all the roads are so clogged we all drive much slower now.  There's only three or four local roads where I can drive at anywhere near 30mph (unless it's the middle of the night).  Another thing this new car does is show my average speed, it's usually between 12 and 17 mph and only gets that high because I drive to work and back on a dual carriageway one day a week.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

My car has a largish door pillar which can cause a bit of a blind spot if you're pulling out of an angled side road but.... the car's very strong.

A friend's wife had one with her job and one day a motorway off slip-road was backed up. She was second from the end. A lorry came hurtling up the slip road, hit the van behind her, threw the van in the air which landed on her roof. She got out without a scratch!

Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent