Ebay allowing banner ads from scammers

At the top of my screen just now was a banner ad telling me I could claim my "free gift" (below is a screenshot):

ebay.png

I knew it was too good to be true but I clicked out of curiosity, and was taken to a page with a countdown timer where I was asked to answer questions about my age and gender. When I clicked to complete I was taken to another page filled with clickable gift boxes, and at the bottom of the page were a bunch of fake Facebook comments from fake accounts, all saying things like "I thought it was a joke but I received my iPhone today!" To my complete lack of surprise I was told I'd won an iPhone:

ebayscam.png

Clicking the link would have taken me to a malicious phishing website. After some searching on Google it was apparent this scam has been doing the round for a while, offering people free PS5s which they would never receive. 

I'm very surprised and disappointed that Ebay is hosting these 'adverts'. DO NOT CLICK THEM. Ebay needs to sort this out ASAP.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Not sure ebay has any control over these ads, or that they are choosing to have them on the site.  You just need an ad blocker and you will never see them again. 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

An ad blocker is not an acceptable solution. This is for Ebay to deal with.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

It's a solution that works perfectly well for me, but if you want ebay to deal with it you will have to go to them direct.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

EBay do not care about anything except money and have no moral compass or any integrity. They worship money and banner ads give them money on top of the extortionate fees that they charge sellers plus 10% for shipping, where they do nothing at all except collect the money to justify charging this 10% extra in fees. For buyers it's a good arena, but for sellers it's a nightmare that takes more and more time to use as time goes by. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Same. I have not seen a single advert on my phone/PC for over 10 years (with this one weird trick...)

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent