Are you part of the vinyl revolution?

Well vinyl sales have soared in 2015 to 1. 4 million. Apparently about 20-years ago they were down to around 20,000.

Well it could be time to dig out those dusty old LPs as an increased demand for rare vinyl has sent prices spiralling.

Original pressings of classic recordings are now being seen by experts as safe long-term investment opportunities.

We always thought that the recording quality was much richer. (what do you think?) please.

But like most we moved along with the times.

Anyway, the good news for us is we have at least a thousand up in the attic.  And viewing the the ''UKs Official Charts'' You can Google that. Very interesting to see what you might have.

I'm sure we have a few special ones.  But not a Sex Pistol 1977, one worth £8,000. Well not our style, unfortunately. 

The bad news is we have nothing to play them on.  We will soon, because they are advertised in the usual places.

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Are you part of the vinyl revolution?

Most of the albums I have were purchased when everyone was getting rid of them in the early nineties. I had a small collection of about 100 albums up until 1990 - I'd started buying in 1970ish.

Never ever known an album 'wear out' - depends on how it was treated and what it was played on. Although I don't dispute that I'm sure they 'must develop wear and more 'crackles' ... but in my mind it does somewhat add to the 'sound experience' an LP gives you.

As for value - never really worried about it until I saw a few of what I consider more common albums going for silly money...

as an example ...... In 1972 I remember going into Woolies and buying my first Jimi Hendrix album - Axis Bold as Love.

It cost me £1 - it was available in large quantities, I remember they had dozens of copies all with other albums by whoever, can't really remember but probably the likes of Ken Dodd and Val Doonican! Nowadays that album in good condition would be worth in excess of £100 !!! Last month I saw my early copy of The Who Live at Leeds - with all its inserts go on here for £90+ - and yet I regard these as common albums, nothing special and certainly not that rare?? I do realise that there are many variations and reissues before someone points it out. But anyway I never purchased them for their value - I purchased them because I enjoyed them. Don't see me rushing to sell.

Message 21 of 22
See Most Recent

Re: Are you part of the vinyl revolution?

Thanks goldenwonders, I was looking at this question from a scientific viewpoint.  That's to say, about vinyl getting scraped out the grooves of an LP. Which is an interesting subject.

However, your mention of Kenn Dodd and Val Doonican, reminds me that life is not always scientific. Not at least for some people.

Message 22 of 22
See Most Recent