ex-library books - genuine or stolen?

If anyone is still glancing at the Books Board I would be interested to hear their opinions about this conundrum.  I only look in about once per week so will not necessarily respond in a hurry.

I have bought many ex-library books and most are obviously genuine with Withdrawn stamps and evidence of being well read enough to warrant the library selling them off.  However, some are in pristine condition with no evidence that the library had no longer wanted them.

For a long time I have wondered if some of these books were not really ex-library.

Today I received a book which sparked this post.  The hardback is immaculate with slip-covered jacket, library stamps on the pages and with the lending insert stamped to indicate it was borrowed 4 times, with the last return date in August 2015.  Could this really be a library book which was withdrawn?

I decided to check online.  The library stamp named a library in the Republic of Ireland.  That particular library does not have a copy of the book although seven other local libraries do.  I cross-checked.  In the whole of Oxfordshire there is one copy - out on loan.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

It took me a while to work out, @ok-mrs-bee but once you have downloaded it you can bookmark it. Then, whenever you come back to it it will remember which page you were up to.

Maybe your library has a poor stock of ebooks? Perhaps give them a ring to see if you are doing it right? (I'm sure you are - it's just good to check with them for your peace of mind!) 🙂

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 21 of 38
See Most Recent

I'm not having any joy.  Our library uses something called OverDrive but the OverDrive help video doesn't run.  I will persevere.

Message 22 of 38
See Most Recent

It's a good while since I started to download books, but when I did I just clicked on "Borrow this ebook" and it automatically downloaded the Overdrive software/programme or whatever to my laptop.

I started to read immediately. And as i said I bookmark the title so it comes back at exactly the place I was up to. 

Have you thought about asking the library staff to explain to you?

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 23 of 38
See Most Recent

I give up. OverDrive is the most unhelpful site I have ever visited.
All I want to know is how to borrow an ebook and where, on my computer, it should go so that I can find it again when I want to read the next chapter.

Message 24 of 38
See Most Recent

"And as i said I bookmark the title so it comes back at exactly the place I was up to. "

But where is the book?  How do you find it again?  Is it in your Downloads - your Kindle - or what?

Message 25 of 38
See Most Recent

It should be on overdrive, or your library site.

Did you know on Kindle unlimited you can borrow as many books for as long as you like for £8 a month.

Message 26 of 38
See Most Recent

All I do is, click on borrow this book, and the Overdrive thing starts loading.

When I finish reading a chapter I bookmark it. This saves the book at the exact page i am up to  and I can easily click on the bookmark to continue reading. 

Once I have finished the book I can delete the title from my bookmarks.

I have no idea where it is on my computer as it doesn't have an icon on the desktop or anything like that.