ex-library books - genuine or stolen?

If anyone is still glancing at the Books Board I would be interested to hear their opinions about this conundrum.  I only look in about once per week so will not necessarily respond in a hurry.

I have bought many ex-library books and most are obviously genuine with Withdrawn stamps and evidence of being well read enough to warrant the library selling them off.  However, some are in pristine condition with no evidence that the library had no longer wanted them.

For a long time I have wondered if some of these books were not really ex-library.

Today I received a book which sparked this post.  The hardback is immaculate with slip-covered jacket, library stamps on the pages and with the lending insert stamped to indicate it was borrowed 4 times, with the last return date in August 2015.  Could this really be a library book which was withdrawn?

I decided to check online.  The library stamp named a library in the Republic of Ireland.  That particular library does not have a copy of the book although seven other local libraries do.  I cross-checked.  In the whole of Oxfordshire there is one copy - out on loan.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

Incidently, the book cost 1p + £2.80 postage.

If I wanted to reserve it from my nearest Oxfordshire library I would have to pay a £1 reservation fee and 8 miles of petrol to collect it and another 8 miles to return it.

This is why buying the books I really want to read is better than borrowing, for me. Sad! Man Sad

Message 2 of 38
See Most Recent

Woman Surprisedlife on the books board.

I don't know the answer, I have bought Ex library books in the past, but as you say, they have been well used and proof of being withdrawn.

Message 3 of 38
See Most Recent

Hi, the only way to know for certain would be to ring the library service involved and ask them about the book I would be interested to know. Many library services have shut branches due to cuts so they may have more books than they can shelve ?

Message 4 of 38
See Most Recent

As a retired Library Assistant, I've worked in libraries nearly all my life.

Years ago books had to be literally falling to bits before they would be withdrawn from stock.

Books would be repaired in our workroom, given new jackets, the binding glued up, sometimes they would be sent away to be rebound.

Nowadays all that has changed.

It is actually cheaper to buy a new book than to have the old one rebound, staff cutbacks has made it impossible to find time to repair books, so many books that would not have been withdrawn in the past, are being withdrawn now.

Having said that I would look at the title and genre of a book before I wondered whether it had been legitimately withdrawn. 

If the book is a popular one by a popular author, or a best seller I would guess it's been stoilen.

If it's an obscure book, fiction or non fiction, it could have been withdrawn.

Some books just look "Boring" and never get borrowed, so a criteria has to be set that if a book hasn't been borrowed once in say,  6 months, or whatever, then it gets withdrawn from stock. 

Doesn't matter if it's an expensive book, or a rare book, or what, it has to go.

I don't know if this helps you to decide but I can tell you that we had many library books stolen from our libraries. There are people who  do this.

Also, a few years ago our library managers adopted a "No ID policy" when people joined the library.

So theoretically one dishonest person could join 11 times in our local authority, one  for each branch library, giving a false name and address each time,and he could borrow 12 books on each ticket plus 2 DVDs.

It doesn't take a genius to work out how books get stolen.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 5 of 38
See Most Recent

Hi all, especially Margaret who I haven't talked to for a while. Smiley Happy

Roger, the book which sparked this thread was stamped by a library in the Republic of Ireland.  I'm not going to 'phone a library there. I suspect it was borrowed and not returned.  I'm trying to be careful with my wording because I could be accused of buying goods which were sold on illegally.

Elephant, thank you for that insight into the workings of the library community.  You have confirmed my suspicions.  I think that I will start asking sellers to provide provenance for their "ex-library" books in "Very good" condition.  It could be interesting.

Message 6 of 38
See Most Recent

Sorry, Elephant, as the owner of my fourth border collie,  I meant to remark on the handsomeness of yours.

Message 7 of 38
See Most Recent

It not ring then they must have an email you could send a message to. The only way you will ever know for certain is to do a little online leg work otherwise you will alway have that nagging wonder.

Message 8 of 38
See Most Recent

Sorry, Elephant, as the owner of my fourth border collie,  I meant to remark on the handsomeness of yours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ok-mrs-bee

Do you mean my cat? She's called Karen Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 9 of 38
See Most Recent

Smiley Embarassed  Oops!  Elephant and Karen, apologies and miaow, my eyesight is not what it was.

Well, I had another ex-library book looking like new and plastic-covered.  This time it had belonged to a library in Oldham.  I e-mailed and got a reply saying that it had been sold on legitimately.  So now my concern is for the Oldham council-tax payers.  This is a £20 book in superb condition: at what price was it sold that meant a dealer in Co.Durham could sell it and post it for £2.81 and, presumably, make a profit.

Message 10 of 38
See Most Recent

This is a coincidence.  The borough referred to in my post is Oldham. 

I was a library assistant in Oldham libraries.

I'm retired now and have been for 2 years but when I was working there was a system for getting rid of unwanted books.

Books would be formally withdrawn from stock, loaded into cardboard boxes and sold to a company called  Nationwide.

They would colllect the boxes of books, the saleable ones would be sold on ebay or other outlets, and the others I believe were pulped.

It used to concern me greatly when I used to see lovely books boxed up and sent to be sold or thrown away because previous to this the policy was to have book sales in all the libraries and the local council tax payers could benefit from the used books.

I personally boxed up beautiful art books  and history books to be sold. I could never understand why we had to  get rid of those because art and history do noot change or go out of fashion.

Strange that you have got one from my local library.