What are you reading at the moment?

Tell us about the book which you're enjoying.  Why is it so enjoyable?  We all like different things so your impression of a book is helpful. 

I added many of the books, which were recommended on the previous thread, to my reading list, based on the poster's comments.

I've been having a crime-fest.  The most recent are ...

Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - I don't really like Brit-cop books - too depressing - and this was no exception.  (What is it with British cops?)  However, apart from some mistakes which should never have got past a decent editor, it was very readable with a good, if meandery, storyline.

The HIdden Man by David Ellis - This author has been likened to John Grisham crossed with Harlen Coben.  Being a fan of both, I poo-pooed this idea.  That was, until I read the book.  How wrong I was!  It is a gripping, fast read and deserves the comparison.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 1 of 169
See Most Recent
168 REPLIES 168

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

My husband has just read The Girl in the Spider's Web and enjoyed it, he says it is as good as the original books.

Message 161 of 169
See Most Recent

Haha I'm on book 4 at the mo (250 ish pages in) it's another belter from Peter James, really enjoying the Roy Grace series, you could say I'm currently addicted to them. I plan on taking book 5 on my hols in November (Corralejo - I'm just showing off :D)

Message 162 of 169
See Most Recent

This book is on my list. I'm a huge fan of the first three (love Scandinavian crime fiction) so will definitely read this at some point. Lisbeth Salander is such a good character.

Other books on my list

The Girl On The Train

The Girl Who Wouldn't Die

Can't remember off the top of my head the authors names.

Message 163 of 169
See Most Recent

@taylor-books wrote:

My husband has just read The Girl in the Spider's Web and enjoyed it, he says it is as good as the original books.

Thanks for that.  I had my doubts about this book having read negative comments in the press, but it certainly seems worth a look.  I would love to hear from others who have read it.

Message 164 of 169
See Most Recent

Hi Jon.  I had to look up Correlejo - of course I'm not envious.Smiley Sad

I'm currently reading Peter James's 6th Roy Grace book.  I love the way he includes the private lives of the policemen and keeps us in suspense about a possible outcome.

I've just placed another order for books and included a trilogy by Robertson Davies.  Completely unknown to me, I think he might be another find.

Message 165 of 169
See Most Recent

I haven't been to Corralejo before so it's unknown to me, it has sun and a marvelous beach so that'll do me 😄

I'll look up Robertson Davies that you mentioned, it's always good to find new authors. My list of books to read is getting bigger and bigger.

Message 166 of 169
See Most Recent

The Girl in the Spider's Web is reviewed on the Guardian website this week (Books section) if you would like to see that.

There are comments as well from readers.

I have recently read three of the Tommy and Tuppence books by Agatha Christie as I was intrigued to know what they were like after seeing the television series. They are nothing like the TV version but are quite exciting stories if rather old-fashioned.

I am now reading Bright Day by J.B.Priestley which is very readable, he is such a good writer, I loved Angel Pavement by him.

Message 167 of 169
See Most Recent

Thanks, Taylor-books.  I had a look and am still not sure.  From the many reviews I've read it seems that it's a good story which should be taken as you find it.  It's not in the same class as Steigg Larson, it just uses his characters.

I found the Peter James, Dead Like You, a tad disappointing.  After the tension of the 5 earlier Roy Grace books this one plodded.

I have just finished Harlan Coben's 1st  teen novel spin-off from his Myron Bolitar series, Shelter.  It features Mickey Bolitar, Myron's nephew.  If you like young adult novels this is very good indeed, but don't expect to meet any characters from the Myron Bolitar books except Myron himself who pops in briefly.  I will read more of them.

I'm about to start the Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies - I'll let you know what I think. Smiley Happy

Message 168 of 169
See Most Recent

Am now reading The Good Companions by J.B.Priestley, it is really good, the characters are so well described, it takes you right into their world.

Message 169 of 169
See Most Recent