DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

Manor-House - as you seem to be the sage of the book board could you please tell me what this is - I have noticed that some books appear to have what looks like fine coloured cord at the top/bottom of spine and the actual pages. Thank you.
Message 221 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Sounds like part of the sewing on an older book.

Top of the pages?

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 222 of 1,680
See Most Recent

As this is a book for the bin I had another look. The pages are sewn together in sections of 8. When pages are put/stuck together there would appear to be a glued on thin card to hold it all together. In between card and pages there is the coloured cord. So you must be right. Many thanks
Message 223 of 1,680
See Most Recent

mug_shotz
Arrggghh, help!!

Ben Elton - High Society

Published by Bantam Press 2002

ISBN 0-593-04939-X

Hardback

Sequence number 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

Is this another one for the 99p pile?

Thanks
Message 224 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Get it signed and it might go.

I'm sure I sold a copy for better than 99p. But if you can do that at what it cost, go for it. It isn't going to fetch very much more, but a 99p start might attract more than one bidder.

Just check first how many copies are for sale and how much they're listed at.

Try adding a 3.99 BIN or something. I hate waiting for the auction's end if there are days to go and will happily hand over the extra quid or two to secure it and have it arrive sooner.

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 225 of 1,680
See Most Recent

mug_shotz
Is it a first edition, Sig?
Message 226 of 1,680
See Most Recent

That number '1' is in the impression line so, yes, it is a first impression of the UK first edition. It being Ben Elton, I would think the UK first would also be world first.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 227 of 1,680
See Most Recent

mug_shotz
So if I could kidnap him and get it signed it would be worth more......

I need to learn how to drive! :O^
Message 228 of 1,680
See Most Recent

In the words of the author...."throw in the fingernails and the foreskin of the original brewer to give it body."

I'd avoid the kidnap bit. That will just get you several years free bed, breakfast and evening meal in one of her majesty's 5 bar hotels.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 229 of 1,680
See Most Recent

mug_shotz
Now that sounds more like what I deserve! No rent, no council tax......... the list is endless! Meals made for you every day, sounds like heaven.
Message 230 of 1,680
See Most Recent

roo_n_sasha
Hi
I need some help/advice on a book I have,
The book is -
The Brooks Legend by William Donohue Ellis
although the author is credited with other books of american history type, I can't find a single listing for this anywhere. Some of his other books are reasonably priced too!
the book was published in 1964 /printed in 1966 by Paperback Library.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
R.
Message 231 of 1,680
See Most Recent

A fine/fine signed hardcover first edition would set you back about £40.

The paperback issue, at best, about £4.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 232 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Bump to remind Richard:-)

Message 233 of 1,680
See Most Recent

OUCH!!!!!

I think I've been pinned.

Message 234 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Yeh!:-D

Message 235 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Was that His Lordship, saying 'OUCH!' - is he being a big girl's blouse? - for goodness sake! - What's a little prick if it gets you to the top of the page?

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 236 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Casting aspersions are we now, Mrs. Bee?

Size isn't everything, you know.

Message 237 of 1,680
See Most Recent

I've found two books the covers of which I think may be Tolwyn Morris designs. One was written by Mrs.Henry Wood and, if I remember correctly, published by Methuen. The cover (dark blue) was adorned with an Art Nouveau design - I didn't buy either because the pages were quite stained and very foxed.

Could you tell me please, is there any indication inside books designed by Morris that would say as such?

My thanks as usual.

Chris.

Message 238 of 1,680
See Most Recent

CHRISTO - I noticed in one of your threads that you sell text books. Our Charity shops are full of them but I wouldn't know where to start. Any tips!
Just in case you are interested I am closing my shop. Didn't do well and too much bother so I am back to auctions.
Anyone with comments on Auctions along with BUY IT NOW. Does it make any difference running them together?
Message 239 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Pat - You have mail.
Message 240 of 1,680
See Most Recent