Buyer wants refund by bank transfer

I recently sold a guitar to a chap who wasn't happy with condition and we arranged a return & refund through eBay.

The parcel is back with me so I have added funds to paypal which is saying 5-7 days to be in. The buyer is not happy and wants a refund by bank transfer. I’m not happy to do this as eBay says it will automatically send the refund so I risk sending it twice. Is he trying to scam me?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

You must refund the same way the buyer paid otherwise you risk refunding twice.  

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

You never, ever refund by any other method other than that which you were paid, & I am presuming he has opened a case in eBay? He will have to be patient,  I do not know why a transfer to your PayPal account will take 5 days, so if he is ligit then I can understand his annoyance. Do not under any circumstance refund him via another route, eBay will not take it into consideration, & he probably would receive two refunds. Apologise, no need to go into detail, simply tell him that he will be refunded via eBay within a few days, & if the funds arrive in your PayPal account early, be a gent & refund him via the case immediately.

He's unlikely to be a scammer, just someone who's clueless. 

Tell him that refunds must always go back to source, otherwise they would not be refunds - they would be payments. 

And tell him that refunds are never instant. If he paid by debit card, it will take up to 7 days to clear into his bank account.  If by credit card, it may take up to 30 days to appear on his cc statement (it depends on his billing cycle).  Tell him too that these timeframes are the banking industry norms, and have nothing at all to do with Ebay or with you as the seller. 

Then ignore any further arguments and messages.  Any bad feedback left regarding this will be fully removeable.

And add his Ebay ID to your Blocked Bidders List so he can't darken your doorway again.

@frangelina1984