why does Ebay persist with using Evri (formerly Hermes)

So every single parcel I have ordered via Ebay has been delivered to a neighbour who is elderly and recovering from cancer.  After the eighth occasion and after going round in circles with an auto-bot clearly intent on avoiding passing me onto a real person, I was finally advised they would ensure it won't happen again. Yet here I am, three mis-delivered items further and Evri, as usual, simply pass the buck to the seller or myself. Ebay, Evri are diabolical so why on earth do you use them? I am no longer shopping on Ebay, it's too unreliable

Message 1 of 59
See Most Recent
58 REPLIES 58

Why do eBay offer Evri as an option? They probably got the best deal with them.

Message 21 of 59
See Most Recent

EVRI I WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO WITH THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY I HAVE ALSO STOPPED USING E BAY BECAUSE THERE USE EVRI

Message 22 of 59
See Most Recent

I've never sent any of my orders with Evri; only Royal Mail. You should send a message to sellers before you order and if they ignore you, I don't think they deserve your business.

As for whether Evri should be offered at all, I think they should because I've seen some social media posts saying that RM is bad in their area and their local Evri driver is good; there's no one-size-fits-all solution. I recently had a "first class" delivery take about 10 days with RM.

So I'll send with whomever a customer asks me to so long as they are willing to pay the cost but unfortunately, no-one ever asks me (they just tend to let me send by the default economy second class and then afterwards contact me to say their order is urgent...).

Maybe your neighbour would let you put a sign on or near their door?

Message 23 of 59
See Most Recent

to be honest you are the one to blame if you are ordering from people who use EVRI and you know there is a problem with them.  I do not because our local courier is useless and the RM in this area has always been brilliant.  The down side is when some idiot seller says RM and then sends EVRI.

Message 24 of 59
See Most Recent

Hi - i have had problems with Evri delivery

There is something seriously wrong.

Evri's  poor sevice is causing considerable stresses between buyers and sellers thereby damaging ebay's reputation as a trusted service

No-one wants to claim moneyback - we would much rather have the goods ordered  in good faith delivered in accordance with the contract. 

Message 25 of 59
See Most Recent

It's simple....

.....before making a purchase, message the seller and ask them which courier/postage service they use. 

What's so difficult?!

Message 26 of 59
See Most Recent

so what about the times when it clearly states RM and then they send EVRI?  Would you expect me to have to message the seller just to make sure they are using the courier they say?

Message 27 of 59
See Most Recent

If choice of carrier is important to you, then you will have to message the seller each time.

My postage method is set to RM48, but I use the most appropriate carrier for the weight and value of the shipment and the current performance of the carrier.  This means the shipment will be despatched via RM24, RM48, T24, T48, Special Delivery, EVRi or DHL.

My shipments range from 11g letters to parcels weighing several kilos, values from £3 to £100+.  I can't specify in advance which carrier will be used.

Message 28 of 59
See Most Recent

Yes, because it's not always possible to use that carrier due to many things like weight and size. A seller may have 300plus parcels to post a day and either be doing it alone or with the smallest team, they may not be able to message every customer when there is a change.

When I was posting 300 plus LL a day plus parcels, it was a 16hr working day. sometimes without a lunchtime.

However, my couriers are DPD ( large parcels) or UPS (small parcels) when RM won't handle my parcels.

Message 29 of 59
See Most Recent

Thanks for that very informative post the- nutwood - connection

So it seems that ebay are actually in control of this situation and I for one would dearly like to hear that they would use their obvious commercial clout to at least shake Evri up 

I will try to add a comment to my next money back call - have these concerns been raised with Ebay - are you listening Ebay ?

Message 30 of 59
See Most Recent

From now on,before I buy off eBay,I will message the Seller to ask what delivery company they use ...if they tell me.EVRI,then I will explain that I do not buy from Sellers who use EVRI.

Perhaps ,they will get the message? 🤔

Message 31 of 59
See Most Recent

Sellers don't usually appreciate being lectured about postage so you will get a mixed response.

If a buyer messaged you and say they don't buy from sellers who use Royal Mail, what would you do in that situation? Would you accommodate them and change courier to secure a sale or be offended by being told how you should set up your eBay listings?

Message 32 of 59
See Most Recent

No,I ONLY use Royal Mail,if a Buyer does not want me to use RM,then they
don't have to buy from me.They can buy from another seller.👍
Message 33 of 59
See Most Recent

So getting the message doesn't apply if the seller uses Royal Mail as they are superior to every other courier? Maybe your right but it seems like a double standard. I send with Royal Mail, Evri, Yodel, UPS and DPD and at one time or another have had a nightmare delivery with every single one of them. 

Message 34 of 59
See Most Recent

As a seller, it would depend on the manner and approach. If a potential buyer messaged me in a courteous manner and explained that they have an issue with their local Evri courier, or their postie, and asked who I use, I might be prepared to use a different courier to make a sale.

Message 35 of 59
See Most Recent

I agree. My free postage is 'other 48 hour courier' to give me leeway. I'll use RM tracked 48 if asked but in general sellers should be trusted to use an appropriate courier, we don't want late, damaged or lost parcels either. 99.9% of buyers do not care who delivers their parcel, this subject gets blown out of proportion on this forum. 

Message 36 of 59
See Most Recent

As a buyer i have had so many items turn up broken when delivered by Evri. They must literally throw parcels around with no respect for the contents. Also very unreliable.

As a seller i would never use Evri for anything fragile. I have never actually used them yet but if Royal mail increase prices again i might consider it for non fragile items that are low value only. I hope they will improve by then lol 😂 

Message 37 of 59
See Most Recent

I think they have improved. I have been packaging pottery and glassware for somebody recently to help them out, we have checked each evri delivery confirmation picture and the boxes look like they did when we took them to a parcelshop. They probably have been knocked about but the key is in how the box is void filled and it shouldn't crush. 

Message 38 of 59
See Most Recent

not blown out of proportion, if  you put 48hour courier then fair enough i then at least have the knowledge that it is not a particular one and i would (if i really wanted the item) get in touch.  However, when someone says they post by RM i expect them to do just that.  Sellers can give all the excuses they want but if you offer one type of post then you should stick to it.  As someone who does not get EVRI deliveries because the courier will not come here then i am certainly not happy when the seller goes against what they say.  Whether the seller got the item back the last time i do not know or care.  I got my refund and went out and bought the item in town, not the one i really wanted but was not prepared to go through that farce again.  It is not my job as a buyer to have to message 'just in case', it is the sellers job to give accurate information.

Message 39 of 59
See Most Recent

@the-nutwood-collection wrote:

If choice of carrier is important to you, then you will have to message the seller each time.

My postage method is set to RM48, but I use the most appropriate carrier for the weight and value of the shipment and the current performance of the carrier.  This means the shipment will be despatched via RM24, RM48, T24, T48, Special Delivery, EVRi or DHL.

My shipments range from 11g letters to parcels weighing several kilos, values from £3 to £100+.  I can't specify in advance which carrier will be used.

In that case choose the option 'Other courier'. It's misleading if you state one courier and use another.

Message 40 of 59
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: