horrible platform

Having been on this now horrible platform for 20 years, (2000 transactions, 100% feedback) i am finally coming to the end of the road-

This week, a buyer accidentally went for "collection" not post- there was no way possible to add post, so we tried from both ends to cancel the sale, for some reason not possible- this went on and on, until we sorted it away from ebay-

I then sold something, which ebay relisted without asking, and it "sold" again- the angry buyer and me tried every single way to get a refund to him- virtually impossible, i paid commission TWICE and had to refund him, outside of ebay-

Finally, i sold an item, but wasnt allowed to send him my address for collection- off we go again, over and over trying to get round ebay and its obstacles- I have now had enough of this platform getting harder and harder to use, every "improvement" making it worse and worse-Try adding Free postage, for example?-  and all through this getting greedier and greedier- nearly 14% fees now- that takes the p**s-

Etsy, (6%) here i come....

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

horrible platform

Im in 2 minds reading your post.  

Part of me thinks "yep I get it, with the greed and the fees" and thre are lits of updates and chamges often to protect buyers/sellers personal info (and of course themselves from fee avoiders) 

but i really cant understand what has happened in your examples as theyre all easy enough to remedy if you had popped on here to ask for help as you seem to have found the forum to complain, so why not ask for help on how to navigate the platform if you were confused.

Ps unless youre selling handmade items, which looking at your listings is not the case, your items will be removed from Etsy.  I sell on Etsy and regardless of seeing so many non hand made items, i had many of my hand crafted (not by me) items removed. Also the 6% isnt the only fee as they advertise off the platform on your bellhalf, default opted in, and its equal to ebays 15% and amazons 15%.  As much as i agree that these fees are high, im afraid we have no viable alternative, unless you want to use facebook market place where you certainly arent protected from scammers and ive heard some horror stories.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

'' ...  wasnt allowed to send him my address for collection ...''

Can be avoided by using the information in these links to list Cash on Collection items >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181%3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

I agree FB is an absoloute mare to sell on, my partner listed our lawn mower last year, for collection only. Before we actually sold it we were barraged with send us your bank account details we can pay. Oh yeah great how you going to collect it if you in Spain etc. It was the most horrendous experience.

Once only and never again.

Re the OP most of those issues should have been resolved without you having to go outside of ebay for any of it, which in itself is a breach.

If an item is collection only you are allowed to share addresses, post sale but always make your message clear between the buyer that this is what it is.

The other refunds if done properly through the system you would have received your fees back etc.

All I would add is if you have questions then always feel free to pop here and ask there are plenty of buyers and sellers like yourself that have a wealth of knowledge that give up their time to help others.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Thanks for your reply- i dont understand what happened either, although one item "selling" 3 times before a real buyer actually bid didnt help- I have been on ebay a long time but there is always some "improvement" that makes it harder and harder to use, and ebay do not read or take heed of anything on this forum, otherwise it wouldnt happen. It is generous of people like yourself to offer help but i went through hours and hours of "help" pages, all to no avail. You are bang on about FB though, the second you put something on you are asked for all your bank details,  'what, you are driving 521 miles to pick up a pair of trainers? no, my brother lives near you- where is that by the way' etc etc- Can anyone tell me why there are fees on even my postage?

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Hi, it wasnt a cash on collection item, he just wanted to collect but i couldnt send him my address-

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Thanks for your reply- regarding a "breach" on ebay, they still got all the fees, so i wonder why they do literally nothing about non-payers, when it is a legally binding auction- legal for ALL auctions, apart from ebay that is-

Maybe they dont want to lose a potential bidder?........ i will say it again- horrible people running ebay-

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Had he actually bought through the listing?  If the item was showing as sold then there shouldn't have been any issues with providing your address even if it wasn't listed for collection.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

One point regarding fees again- a lot of my items are of low value, so i wonder how many people like me are going to waste hours attempying to get £4.23 back?  

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Yes, sold through the platform-

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

Can anyone tell me why there are fees on even my postage?

Many sellers in order to avoid fees used to put an item for say 99p and postage "whatever the difference was for what they wanted" so you would see postage £10 etc - Of course this annoys buyer who know its not £10 postage and of course Ebay have lost out on £X fees so they combined it all many years ago and so those who offer "free postage" are rewarded with a discount and the buyers think its a fair deal.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

@wirelessandcable wrote:

Having been on this now horrible platform for 20 years.....

Who's staying on a 'horrible platform' for twenty years? Seriously. 

You come on here like eBay have given nothing back to you;  you wouldn't have stayed  twenty years if not; it's so lacking of insincerity.

Put the knives down, step away from the cliff edge and breath. 

Talk about melodramatic. 

Condragulations, you are the winner of this week's challenge!
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

horrible platform

"Having been on this now horrible platform for 20 years, I am finally coming to the end of the road."

I don't really think the whole sentence is at all melodramatic,  just the almost daily frustrations of trying to use a glitch-ridden site taking their toll.

I've been selling on ebay for a mere 10 years and comparing the site to how it was back then (or even just five years ago), I'd agree that it is NOW a far more horrible site.

Thieving buyers and the injustice of having ebay side with them 99% of the time.  Ebay skimming cash from postage costs.  The rigged metrics that only benefit ebay.  The wrecked search that only benefits ebay.  The enthusiasm for "Holding" seller's cash for as long and as often as possible.  Even listing an item and using the Seller Hub are pretty horrible experiences and there's plenty more.

One step at a time ebay has gone from being a joy to use, to its present sad state of horribleness, not just for  @wirelessandcable , not only for me, but for all those who have disappeared from the boards after relating similar tales of woe and the many more who have left ebay without bothering to tell us that they're going or why.

Nothing to do with knives, cliff edges or drama  --  just ebay slowly grinding you down until you give-up and go elsewhere.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent