Yet another fee

Regulatory operating fee

From 8 April 2024, we’re introducing a new regulatory operating fee that will apply to all sales from listings on the following sites: UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland. The regulatory operating fee is calculated as a fixed percentage rate of the total amount of the sale (which includes the item price, postage, taxes and any other applicable fees), and is subject to VAT.

0.35% but its another fee this is getting rediculous

Message 1 of 172
See Most Recent
171 REPLIES 171

Yet another fee

thats it for me got too many fees already i'm currently paying 38% of my selling price to ebay 34% to royal mail for delivery leaving me with about 10% profit after costs to make the item i might as well just leave the money in a cash isa and do nowt else. is it worth the hassel for  a 3% addition income overall

Message 2 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

just googled this 

eBay Adds Regulatory Operating Fee For UK & Some EU Countries (valueaddedresource.net)

eBay says this fee is necessary to address the rising costs of complying with regulations, environmental and consumer protection laws, and new tax and customs measures - like extended producer responsibility in France, single use plastics bans, and new tax reporting requirements as a result of UK digital sales reporting legislation.

The company has been dealt some expensive lessons in the compliance arena recently, paying a historic $59 Million settlement to the US Drug Enforcement Administration to resolve allegation regarding illegal pill presses sold on the site.

So the cost of reporting to HMRC tax dodgers is put on the rest of us...Thanks Ebay, love how they just keep piling on the fees and not absorb out of their massive profits 

Message 3 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Literally looking for a website of my own. Just sick of eBay taking even though I'm putting up prices.

also have universal credit on my back as not earning as much.

although did have a good few days last month. 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 4 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Could this be "the final straw"? 

Photobucket

"Take deep breaths, it'll soon be gone"

Message 5 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

35% including the postal fees!!!

I sell something for £10 + £3 postage = £13 minus 35% = £4.55...£13 - £4.55 = £8.45 minus postage £3 = £5.45

So I sold it for £10 and made a measly £5.45 "profit".  

I'm just a small seller.

Ebay selling is over for me.

Message 6 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

I feel for genuine sellers on this, if Ebay actually paid any tax (ever) to the governments of the countries it operates in, this could be partially justified.

But it doesn't so do this goes to helping it avoid tax and strip cash from its community.

Good luck to those who ditch the platform 🤞

Message 7 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

This has just reinforced my resolve that while I will continue to *buy* on eBay I will never sell on here again. 

Message 8 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

It's very annoying but it's 0.35%, not 35%!

Fairly small but another additional in what sellers make, not good at all.  Mind you, it won't cost me much as I hardly sell anything these days.

Message 9 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Oh.

Thank you so much!

I'm calmer now

Message 10 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Glad I could help your blood pressure!

Message 11 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

I'm sure including postage costs & taxes can be challenged. It's unfair to include postage and taxes in with the final sale price and possibly classed as extortion.

Message 12 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

That's not the point, it's 0.35% on the total amount, so again a charge on your P+P, then VAT on top.

So work that out as a % off what your net profit is......suddenly its a larger amount in real terms.

At what point is enough enough?

Message 13 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean there will be potential 5 different fees on every sale now?

-insertion fee

-variable final value fee

- fixed amount fee

-regulatory operating fee

-international sales fee

+ VAT on fees

Message 14 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Prepared to get shot down on this reply 🙂

existing fee is 10.6777% plus 30p.

extra fee with vat works out as .42%

so new fee from 6th of April 2024 will be 10.6777% plus .42% = approx 11.09% plus 31p or maybe 32p depending how they roundup/down.

Local auction house charge 20% to 25% or even 28% with an online bidding fee.

plus 20% or 25% buying fee at local auctions.

so for something that is worth say £100 ....someone will only bid up to say £83 + buying fee = £99.60

you will get £83 minus 20% or even 25% fee (say 20%) - £83 minus £16.60 = £66.40 

Message 15 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

it was introduced to prevent sellers selling something for 0.01p to reduce their selling fee and then slapping on a huge "postage cost"

Message 16 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

Just got my email about this, I shall seriously consider closing my account in April, really not happy however small it is. Why should it include postage etc it is not as if we get anything from the postage costs with the final value fee including that amount as well.  Why is Germany exempt ?. 

Message 17 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

It's also another means of forcing small volume sellers off the platform. Sellers dropshipping Chinese tat in the thousands will not really notice the fee, but people who are just trying to sell a few things from their loft will see this fee as the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Message 18 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

It is just taking the *** now. I mostly sell small value items so will have to probably give up.

Message 19 of 172
See Most Recent

Yet another fee

I do hope you manage to set one up, good luck. I do keep telling myself to that as I'm so fed up with the fees & now another increase.

Message 20 of 172
See Most Recent