Will sellers be covered by Ebay collection codes in the event of a Paypal dispute?

Ebay collection codes now cover you for collection in person sales in the event of an Ebay INR case. However, what would happen if the buyer was to open an INR case through Paypal? Paypal would not recognise the Ebay collection code as the tracked delivery requirement. The managed payments system now mean that the payments go through on Paypal under "EBAY COMMERCE UK LTD." I guess that means that any INR case is opened initially against Ebay. Will Ebay still give sellers protection if a collection code is used or will Ebay inevitably lose the Paypal dispute and chargeback the seller? 

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Will sellers be covered by Ebay collection codes in the event of a Paypal dispute?

Avoid PayPal payments for Collection items ... requesting Cash on collection is best payment option to avoid  these complications >

The QR code is not essential for Cash on collection items ... for reference >> 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181%3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks, it's what I try to do normally. Although, I sell a lot of furniture items and often buyers will send their own courier so sometimes it's not possible. It's just annoying that buyers can pay through Paypal in situations such as this. It would be better if Ebay just managed card payments. Buyers have enough protection through Ebay as it is. 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

@fargvs wrote:

Avoid PayPal payments for Collection items ...

I think the OP means what happens if the buyer pays for the item via eBay using PayPal; they mention "eBay Commerce UK Ltd".

@art_by_sarah_js: as long as it is a managed payment - i.e. the buyer made their payment through eBay and not directly to you - you are still covered. As per eBay:

"For items that are collected directly from the seller, evidence that the buyer has received the item may include:

• A copy of the eBay order details, signed by the buyer at the time of collection, or
  • The seller used the eBay app to scan the buyer's QR code or manually entered the buyer's 6-digit pickup code at the time of collection"
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thanks. Do you have any idea what would happen if the buyer then raised a dispute through Paypal? Would Ebay take the hit or try to chargeback from you?

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: