Want to do a listing for a charity I want to donate to but not in Ebay list

Hi, I have been selling and buying on EBay for many years. I have sold quite a few things previously and given the proceeds to a local animal charity/ rescue which is not a registered charity as such but I know it does wonderful work so happy to donate. I have found another animal rescue for Hedgehogs which is registered and would like proceeds of a sale I intend to list to go to them but do not know how to go about getting my listing recognised as benefitting charity, please advise, thanks 

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Good Morning Silu

A commendable policy and gesture. If you can't nominate that particular charity then why not simply sell the item(s) and write them out a cheque for the total sale amount?

Good luck.  Keep up the good work.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Have you read the ebay guidance on listing and selling for charity?  It's pretty good.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

I know if you are listing using a PC (don't know about app) you go to the bottom of the listing you are creating just before the list button to publish your listing there is a section marked charity. To the right there is a button with Edit and a pencil symbol, click on this and it wil bring up a box that is titled Charity and underneath says "Donate for this listing" next to it is a slider button. Click on this button and it brings up a list with the most popular charities, above this list is a search box where you can type in the name of the charity you are looking for. Click on the charity you want in the listing it brings up. Next you will want to click on "Percentage" to decide how much you want to donate from 10% to 100% of the proceeds of the sale. Beware if you select 100% and select free postage you will end up out of pocket and it is better to set a postage cost. Once you have selected the percentage click done on the box and you can then click the list button as normal.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone. I will see if I can follow the instructions kindly given. What I am selling is collection only but good advice about the postage. Hopefully I can get the listing done the right way. Many thanks 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Me again, just tried what I was advised to do but when I write the charity I want to donate to nothing happens. Lots of Hedgehog rescues come up but not the specific one I want to give to. Obviously nobody else has set up to donate to them before. Should I contact customer service or is that a waste of time!?

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I suspect that would be a waste of time.  This link implies that it is the charity that needs to apply to get themselves on the list, perhaps you could invite them to do so?

https://www.ebayforcharity.org/uk/get-involved/benefit-from-community-donations/

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

@290453silu wrote:

Me again, just tried what I was advised to do but when I write the charity I want to donate to nothing happens. Lots of Hedgehog rescues come up but not the specific one I want to give to. Obviously nobody else has set up to donate to them before. Should I contact customer service or is that a waste of time!?

Don't contact eBay CS, they can't do anything here.

You need to contact the charity and ask if they want to register themselves with eBay. If they don't, all you can do is to make direct donations from your sales yourself.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Oh I see.Hmm that could take a while to organise and it is only a small charity so doubt many people would do what I am intending. Perhaps I will just do what I have done in the past and sell the items then donate the  proceeds direct to the charity. I will speak to them when I pop over with any money I raise and see what they want to do. Thanks for your help

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Lovely that you're donating to a hedgehog charity, these often get overlooked but have lots of expenses, especially for drugs and special bathing products that are anti parasitics, hedgehogs have a real bad time with these (I also donate to a local hedgehog charity).

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Yes, the charity has to be registered with eBay for you to use the charity list link. 
I did it for a charity many moons ago and it was a complete faff... but the whole procedure has changed since then.  Fingers crossed it has become easier.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent