Verify land line number before listing go live problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just opened a new eBay account, drafted a new listing, went to make it live and eBay want to verify my land line number with a security code before I can list my first item, problem is when I select send code I am never getting a call from eBay with a code so I can't list anything, I tried the help & contact and spoke to eBay agents and all they tell me is they will send a ticket to the technical team and will call me in 48hrs, feels like a brush off, any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't own a mobile so texting a code is not an option for me, HELP

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Have you Registered as a eBay Seller?

If not,  Go to top of page   Press eBay Help

Type in  Registering as a New Seller this is eBay Guidelines & what is needed for you to sell.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yes I opened a new account, but can't list untill I verify my phone number which is a land line and eBay are not sending me a code, I am stumped

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

It has to be a Mobile Phone.

My Sister did not have one, but because she wanted to sell on eBay she purchased a cheap one from the Supermarket, so they can send the verifications code & do Sercurity checks.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Unless ebay has changed this in the last few months, it does not have to be a Mobile Phone.

Until recently the last update about signing into accounts using text / code etc. was pinned to the top of the Community Pages and that clearly stated that methods other than Mobile Phone / Text are accepted (as is required by the FCA).

During discussion about the last update it was mentioned that most landline phones are now capable of receiving texts and the Community Team confirmed that they were acceptable.

I just checked that my land-line phone number is still registered as my Ebay Contact Number, it is.

But I notice that it is now in the international format with the initial "0" of the UK area dialling code replaced with the international code of "+44".  Presumably either ebay or I made this change as a requirement of the last update.

So you could try changing your number to that format. 

Perhaps anita@ebay  or another member of the Team would be kind enough to confirm that the above is still correct?

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the reply, the code is set at +44 for the United Kingdom, my mum opened a new account at the end of October 2023 and verified a Land Line number with no problems at all, but now I can't I have contacted eBay and the tec team have reset my account but still I get no code to verify my land line, it is so upsetting all I need is a simple code and I will be sorted, HELP

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Not sure if this will still work,but worth a try.

From the 'Verify' page:

"Click "Edit phone number"

Leave Country set as "+44 United Kingdom"

Edit phone number - add "44" at the start, and delete the first "0" (so mobile number will start 447... and landlines will start 441...)

Then try 'Verify'  again"

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Have you got the problem sorted out yet?

If not perhaps try re-tagging Anita @Ebay

The Community Team seem to be back from their Christmas break and posting on the boards again so may be able to give an update if any is required?

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I haven't had the problem sorted yet, I have spent hours on the phone to 15 seperate agents and one manager and still no solution, all I need is eBay to send a 6 diget code via a phone call to a land line, an agent today confirmed that Land Lines are still used and it doesn't have to be a mobile number, she told me that I was lied to by some of the other agents who said it must be a mobile number, I hope they fix it soon as I am waiting to list items, but I am not holding my breath, looks like eBay are clueless, I was hoping that someone else had experienced this problem and knew a fix, fingers crossed.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Hello @Anonymous, thanks for your post.

The verification can be via mobile or landline. However, the code is sent via SMS, not a voice call, so you would either need a mobile number or landline that is able to receive SMS.

Thank you,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I contacted eBay for the 19th time regarding this and was told the call me option is a recorded message not text or sms to the land line, I was told the the call vefication is stuck in a loop, and the tech ticket is still open, I do hope they sort it soon, my mum opend a new account October 2023 just 8 weeks ago and verfication to the land line worked with no issues, it is so frustrating.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi @Anonymous,

It is possible that you are using the phone number that has been used for other accounts as well. We limit the number of accounts that a single phone number can be associated with to prevent fraud. You may need to use another phone number to verify this account.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

I have had that call in the past it is an automated call which reads out a code for you. I think the problem may be your phone number. Check you have entered it correctly and that you have it in form 44 (UK Code) loose the first zero and then remainder of your number. If that is all correct and it isn't working try it without the 44 and add the zero back in. 
Drastically you could invest in a mobile phone. Most of us mobile phone users are wondering why we still have a landline! 🙄

Good luck, let us know how it's going and if you have found a fix. 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent