Unjust Negative Feedback but eBay won’t remove

I have been a buyer/seller on eBay for 18 years and had 100% positive feedback over 1,200.  As you can see from these numbers, I'm not a business seller; I just sell bits and pieces of clothing from time to time.  Because of this I always list items as Returns Not Accepted as I can't afford the time or other costs involved in returns.

Last week I sold a coat via auction which was BNWOT.  Free postage. As always, Returns Not Accepted.  The buyer received the item and wanted a refund because it didn't fit.  There was no dispute over the item itself; it was exactly as described but just didn't fit the buyer.  She hadn't asked for measurements or asked whether I would consider returns before bidding.  I explained that, as per the listing, I couldn't offer a refund and suggested the buyer sell the coat on. The buyer became quite abusive in messages and accused me of 'scamming' her because I wouldn't offer a refund (despite acknowledging that the listing did say no returns).

She then left negative feedback because I wouldn't refund the item.

I have appealed the feedback because despite having over 1,200 positive feedbacks only the most recent are considered, so my feedback has gone from 100% to 90% which makes me look to be a terrible seller!  eBay refuse to remove the negative feedback.

I feel this is very unjust because I haven't done anything wrong!  I sold an item exactly as described, dispatched it promptly and yet I still get negative feedback.  Had I accepted this return, I might as well have put Returns Accepted on the original listing in which case I could have sold for a higher price to potential buyers who legitimately decided not to buy because they didn't want to risk it not fitting.

After this terrible experience, I'm going to give up on eBay.  It seems everything is weighted against the seller.  We can't leave negative feedback for buyers yet they can ruin our reputation and ability to sell.  I currently have two other coats listed for sale but it's unlikely anyone will buy them as my feedback has gone down to 90% with a negative review in the last month 😢

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Contact eBay Customer Services again, but do so very first thing in the morning when the lines first open, at 8 a.m. on weekdays,  and 9 a.m. on Sunday,  there's more chance of Dublin answering.  Select the Call Back option then you'll hear if it's Dublin calling.

Put your side across that the buyer is asking for something that is not offered,  that is,  a refund for a reason Doea Not Fit,  which is not covered in a lising which states No Returns Accepted.

Direct them to the feedback too, showing the buyer is totally aware of the fact there are No Returns,  but still insists on that refund,  resulting in an unwarranted negative.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Good luck, it deserves to be removed.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon Twig

Sorry to hear about your problem. Selling on eBay is not easy,you are basically sending items out on approval.

I can see and sympathise with both parties,the buyer has spent a lot of money on an item that she can't use and is rightly miffed.  While you did offered your normal excellent service, may I suggest three things,initially don't give up,keep selling but do change the listings to incorporate returns. It doesn't matter what you say if a buyer wishes to return an item then you have to grit your teeth and accept it.otherwise you are making a rod for your own back.

Finally put some measurements in you listings ie arm length,length at the back,length across the shoulders etc,etc.  Selling clothes is notoriously difficult and fraught with problems,help yourself my making a couple of small adjustments.

Keep your chin up and carry on selling.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I have recently had a similar experience with an extremely rude and hostile buyer who informed me very early on in our relationship that he intended to leave me negative feedback to let the whole world know what a liar and a thief I was, as he put it, just because his item had got stuck in the postal system (I had supplied proof of pstage). He did indeed leave negative feedback (which also made inaccurate claims). When I asked eBay to remove this, they refused, even though the buyer was clearly in breach of their rules regarding behaviour and using negative feedback threats as a weapon of abuse.

I have reached the conclusion that eBay sucks. I used to sell a lot when it first appeared, but now, twenty plus years later, it has become a massive faceless corporation that hides behind AI robots like all of the faceless corporations do.

It seems to me that these days eBay is just a money grab for the owners and share holders, they do not give two figs about the sellers using it, most of whom are simple folk using it to sell off a few bits and bobs, in my case to top up their miserable pensions. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

well i have no sympathy with the buyer!  If i buy something (and i have in the past bought quite a few clothes) i take it on chance if they only put the label size, that is my risk.  I have the ability to get in touch with the seller and ask for measurements.  I personally sell a lot of my families clothes and i always put the measurements in.  Quite often someone comes along and asks me for them or they want something that i have not mentioned.  I have no problem sorting it out for them.  No one has ever (so far) asked to return because the item does not fit.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

@moanasaurus2 wrote:

He did indeed leave negative feedback (which also made inaccurate claims). When I asked eBay to remove this, they refused, even though the buyer was clearly in breach of their rules regarding behaviour and using negative feedback threats as a weapon of abuse.

Did the buyer end up with a "fee to pay" card and did they receive the wrong record?

Regardless, eBay are very unlikely to remove negative feedback (even if it's unjustified) any more unless an eBay MBG case was decided in the seller's favour and/or unless the feedback contains offensive language. In fact, in the latter case they might remove the comment but leave the rating. This is due to upcoming changes in the law regarding online reviews, ratings and endorsements. In most cases eBay will likely just spout the "It's the buyer's opinion" line.

Part of the changes mean that justified negative reviews cannot be removed in order to make a business appear to have a higher customer satisfaction rating than they really do. I realise you are a private seller but eBay is unlikely to engage in moderating feedback any more; the risk of a fine equal to 10% of their global turnover should they get it wrong has likely put them off. If a buyer makes false claims in the feedback they leave and there is no case open the best thing to do now is to reply to those claims stating the facts in a tactful manner.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent