Totally useless complaint system

I am incensed by the fact that a buyer can make out that an item was damaged on return when it clearly wasn't and where I was able to provide ample evidence to eBay when the item was returned to me that was the case and yet the buyer gets the return and my counter complaint about the buyer is totally disregarded.  eBay makes noises that it is greatly concerned about any dishonestey from buyers but that turns out to be completely without any intent and it total hot air.  So the buyer openly gets away with fraud and dishonesty and eBay effectively condones this. With policies like this is it any  wonder that we live in an increasinly dishonest society?

Message 1 of 46
See Most Recent
45 REPLIES 45

Caveat Emptor does not mean a "get out gaol for sellers". It is irrelevant. It is simply good advice we should always keep in mind. On eBay, we have "caveat vendor": eBay doesn't suffer any losses when things go wrong for sellers so doesn't care about our stupid little keyboards and teapots.

Message 41 of 46
See Most Recent

Yes, if you thank your buyer when paid, leaving positive feedback, if things subsequently go wrong you can follow up with a negative comment which doesn't impact the buyer's feedback score. You can also reply to feedback left in a negative way.

Message 42 of 46
See Most Recent

Personally I hink anyone who sells anything that relies on a buyer trying it on has to be very thick skinned and a glutton for punishment.

It only takes one person to say to the buyer 'it does not suit you'  or the buyer thinks it feels different to the one they have owned and worn for the last two years  or the colour doesn't match their eyes or it is the same as Richi  was wearing  and they are on there way back. 

People think this is normal mainly because the large sellers online and in club books make it easy to return - of course everyone who buys pays for the returns in the price of the goods but to make this work you need high volume and a high margin. 

Does that work on ebay probably not for most !

Message 43 of 46
See Most Recent

In reply to the question, 'Did it solve the problem/', presumbly meaning this thread, then alot of interesting comments and views have emerged from it.   Clearly 'cavet emptor' will not stand in this context so will change the text in the listing to 'Please be sure you ask any questions before committing to buy',  in the hope that might at least cause some people to think and act before buying.  Some hope maybe.  

However, the concept of 'let the buyer beware', in others words it is your responsibility to ensure you have all the information to satisfactorily make a purcahse  - and if you buy nd get caught you have no one to blame but yourself, still seems eminently sound and am sure it would stand in a court of law, particularly applying to 2hd hand goods.

On the case itself? Zilch.  The last contact with eBay was a agreement that even if the fact it was clear in the listing the dongle wasn't there the outcome of the case would revolve around whether there was any evidence of impact damnge in transit which might have caused 'the damage'.    There was absolutlley none. eBay 'kindly?' provided a link to upload pictures and several were sent with accompanying text.    So, it makes absolutely no difference what evidence there is eBay will totally ignore it.  

I got caught because I bought the item and got caught because I did not ask the question, fair enough.  So I resold it on the same basis as I bought it and that bouned back and effectively hit me in the face - full refund to buyer plus the transit cost. Not funny.

There is a similar instance now having bought a 2nd hand graphics tablet of a leading manufacturer, only to find it no longer supports this series. The e software is not availble so there is only partial functionality.    Normally I would say, 'learning curve' and sell it on, but not now. I can't afford tohave the same thing happen again  so this is going back to the buyer.  Tough cheese I m afraid.

Thanks again everyone for your contributions.

Message 44 of 46
See Most Recent

Things that are listed as used are meant to still function as intended; obselete software, or indeed a missing dongle (which presumably came with the item when new), and which means the item does not function as intended 'out of the box', would be better listed as for parts/not working'.  Even then there is no seller protection for not as described claims.

"However, the concept of 'let the buyer beware', in others words it is your responsibility to ensure you have all the information to satisfactorily make a purcahse  - and if you buy nd get caught you have no one to blame but yourself, still seems eminently sound and am sure it would stand in a court of law, particularly applying to 2hd hand goods".

As far as the above goes, there are specific laws for online sales where the buyer doesn't see the goods until they arrive in the post.  Although these are meant to apply to traders selling to consumers, I really don't think a court would decide in favour of a private seller, especially if the buyer has made assumptions that are not unreasonable. 

Message 45 of 46
See Most Recent

Thanks very much. Points noted.

Message 46 of 46
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: