Sold water rower, collection in person

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I protect myself from buyer later saying it's not as described? Also they are coming a long way to collect, who would be responsible for getting it back to me? 

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

It's usually best  to ask for cash on collection.   If they've already paid they should get a QR code from ebay which you enter to prove collection.   That depends on them getting the code in the first place and it doesn't always go to plan.   If they're willing you could refund the payment and ask them to pay cash.    Make sure they expect it properly before they take it away.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

If you accept any other form of payment than cash, the buyer can open a case and YOU the seller is responsible for return postage 

So, as Peaseblossom says, accept cash on collection only

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Unless you're being paid in cash then your buyer may open an eBay item not as described claim and it would be your job to pay for and arrange the return.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've already got code. I've told them that they will have to sign to say it's as per description and in full working on collection. 

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

This may help too, eBay's guidance on how to protect yourself when the item is being collected.

If you're both using the app there will be a code, if not this is eBay's guidance on what is required as proof of collection: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181&s...

@Anonymous

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I've already got code. I've told them that they will have to sign to say it's as per description and in full working on collection. 

It won't make any difference if they open a case, eBay won't even look at your evidence, you'd still have to refund if the buyer pays by any method other than cash and then opens a not as described case

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

they have already paid though so how do I get cash on collection now? Can I cancel the sale? 

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
It’s not a problem anyway as we’ve just broken it bringing it downstairs, can’t believe it!

Sent from my iPhone
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Sounds like the buyer is a bit dodgy. If they have paid through eBay/PayPal you can easily cancel the sale and refund the buyer. eBay will also refund the fees they have charged you. Hope this helps

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:
It’s not a problem anyway as we’ve just broken it bringing it downstairs, can’t believe it!

Ask your buyer if they would be prepared to request a cancellation but frirst send them a photo of the damage, and apologise, obviously. They may agree to this and you get a fee credit.if they won't agree 

you would have to use the reason Out of stock and lose your selling fees and gain an account defect.

There is nothing dodgy about a buyer paying for COC items through ebay checkout, some people prefer to pay this way and may also be aware of the T&Cs of using the MBG.

******************************************************************************************