Sold first item and buyer want return it to me (reason: wrong item)

Hello,

ITEM IS CORRECT HE ORDERED. I`ve tried to sell some home appliances modules (quite expensive and niche things), suddenly i did first sold.

Before sending i communicated with  buyer, he told that  he bought module for another model washing machine, explained situation that washer went into flooding and module was damaged. I explained that modules will not communicate well, since its software programmed for mine explained type of washing machine and offered him help that we can change software for his model washer (I have experience and knowledge in these things). I asked trough ebay message that we will change software and do he confirms, he confirmed, after that we did additional job and sent. In addition that we explained that flooding could cause additional problems in washer motor, pumps and etc. After dispatch he got module, set everything and gets errors, more less they are cause because of other components not working, now he wants a return... I already paid ebay tax and postage, besides that module itself could be damaged if he did not connected everything well. What i should expect? Thanks for replies, this is mine first sell and it`s quite demotivating. Do EBAY counts transaction taxes if we agree return this transaction?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@home_appliances_spare_parts wrote:

What i should expect?

You need to send a pre-paid return label if eBay hasn't done so already. You are dealing with an automated system that is entirely on the buyer's side; if the buyer doesn't receive a pre-paid return label they can escalate on the third day, receive a full refund and be told they don't need to return the item.

When you receive the item back you either need to refund the buyer or report a problem. There isn't much you can do until you receive whatever it is the buyer sends back.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

When you sell items you bought to sell then by law the buyer has the right to return an item even if they simply change their mind

This is one of the joys of being a business seller I'm afraid.

The buyer pays return postage if they just changed their mind but you have to refund the full amount they paid inc P&P

Factor these returns into your business model so that you do not lose out when buyers return items for change of mind (which they will).

If you argue with the buyer about it then they will just make up a reason that the item is broken/not as described (and may break the item to force a refund) and this will force you to pay return postage AND refund in full, so always better to accept the return without issues. 

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

This page explains about buyers consumer rights when buying online and explains about the legislation that gives buyers the right to return items they buy online if they change their mind. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#:~:text=Before%20we%20ge....)

Your eBay fees (less 30p) will be refunded to you when you refund the buyer in full. 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

You also need to read this link and change your account to a Business account to be trading legally

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/business-seller-policy?id=4710

At the moment you are trading illegally online.

eBay will notify HMRC about your sales turnover in Jan 2025 and you will be required to register for self assessment once you either, sell 30 items, OR have a turnover of £1700 regardless of your account type (business/private) so best to get your account in order before then. 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Oh, I notice you have tried to refuse to accept returns, so in this case, you will have to pay the return postage AND refund the outward postage cost.

If you had "Returns Accepted" showing on the listing you could have made the buyer pay to send it back, but unfortunately it is too late now, so you will need to issue a pre-paid return postage label to the buyer so they can send the item back.

If you fail or refuse to issue the return label via the case, eBay will refund the buyer (from your funds) and tell them not to return the item. 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

You also need to read this link and change your account to a Business account to be trading legally

The OP is registered in Lithuania with Lithuanian stock...their legal obligations only extend as far as their domestic EU sales. eBay would force them to "upgrade" to a business account once their intra-EU sales exceeded €10,000 or their domestic Lithuanian sales exceeded €55,000 as either threshold would require them to register for (EU) VAT.

UK buyers have no consumer rights to fall back on when they purchase from a non-UK registered seller; only eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

@myriad*seller wrote:

eBay will notify HMRC about your sales turnover in Jan 2025 and you will be required to register for self assessment once you either, sell 30 items, OR have a turnover of £1700 regardless of your account type (business/private) so best to get your account in order before then. 

eBay will be reporting to the Lithuanian State Tax Inspectorate (where the OP is domiciled).

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

@home_appliances_spare_parts wrote:

What i should expect?

You need to send a pre-paid return label if eBay hasn't done so already. You are dealing with an automated system that is entirely on the buyer's side; if the buyer doesn't receive a pre-paid return label they can escalate on the third day, receive a full refund and be told they don't need to return the item.

When you receive the item back you either need to refund the buyer or report a problem. There isn't much you can do until you receive whatever it is the buyer sends back.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent