Selling limits

The selling limits are very confusing.

I'm a new seller. I thought I had 1,000 free listings, which i do. i just wan't aware of the monthly selling limits.

I only became aware of that limit (200) by chance when i noticed it on the mobile app. By this point I had listed over a hundred lots, and it looked as though I'd used up most of my listings in the first 10 days of the month.

I tried increasing my limit, but wasn't able to apply, so I started delisting my cheaper items (which are by and large the ones that sell, given that I'm a new seller).

It seems that 'relistings' that happen automatically after a week don't count towards the total, although I can find nowhere where this is made clear.

I've been doing fairly well, and so now my limit has been increased, and presumably I can now relist all the things, but I haven't written any new listing for the last few days, and delisted things close to bidding end times, maybe missing out on sales.

It's not just me missing out though. ebay has also missed out on money through not communicating clearly seller limits, and what counts as a listing towards that limit.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Selling limits

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Private sellers listing their own personal items (such as bits and pieces from their wardrobe/loft/garage) do get 1000 free listings, but new sellers are still subject to selling (and listing) limits which increase as they build up a good trading record.

You can view your monthly selling limits, this eBay guidance page explains how and features more info:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107&st=3&pos=1&query=Selling%20limit...

Removing listings doesn't reinstate your selling limit, that listing would be counted, and if you end listings early, as well as eBay still charging you their final value fee, you'll eventually be sanctioned. I wouldn't do that.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Selling limits

I didn't delist things thinking it would reinstate the limit.

Let's say i have 100 listing left. i thought by delisting something just before it automatically relisted, it would avoid my 'limit' going down to 99.

I'm not delisting things that have sold or been bid on, but most of my sales don't happen in the first week of listing.

I understand most of what you've said now (although the page you've linked to doesn't clarify whether 'relistings' count as listings).

It is really not made clear though. It's a pretty important thing for new sellers to understand. 

Chief amongst them is the difference between 'free listings' which is a fee thing, and 'limits' which is a what you're able to do thing.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Selling limits

@nv_266 wrote:

Let's say i have 100 listing left. i thought by delisting something just before it automatically relisted, it would avoid my 'limit' going down to 99.

If you end your listing before it automatically relists then it won't relist so won't count towards your current limit showing in Seller Hub.

Obviously, when you first listed it it did count.

Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Selling limits

This link explains about free listings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/free-listings?id=4163#:~:text=The%20follow... 

Below is the relevant bit regarding what counts against your monthly allocation of free listings.

Screenshot_2024-04-15-11-18-50-432.jpeg

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Selling limits

As with many things on ebay it's probably more complicated than it really needs to be and can be confusing when you're new to selling.

As @*vyolla*  has said already, check your selling limits on your Seller Hub,  the relevant box will tell you how many items you can list and also a monetary value.  You can't list any more that month after you hit one or other of the limits.

Think of the "1000 free listings" as more of an attractive marketing tactic by ebay, it makes a good head-line,  BUT is always overridden by the numbers in your personal Selling Limits box on your Seller Hub.  As a marketing ploy, it works very well.   Sellers often see the 1000 free listings part but miss the important  "up to 1000 free listings".

It's your 200 item limit that counts.  If you read the links that have been given, with that it mind, they will (hopefully) make better sense 🙂 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent