Selling items

Hi all, need a bit of advice here. I have been a seller for 18 years (an honest one) and have just sold a brand new pair of boots to a lady. I believe they are leather as my brother bought them for me and he never buys anything but leather, but she has had them for two days and claims there is a crack on the front of the boot. She is saying she just wore them to work and sat down all day, but that does not sound likely. 

She is now wanting a refund and stating that they are not leather, but she cannot find anything on the boot to say otherwise. These are Joe Browns boots and good quality.

Am i protected in any way as a seller as if i refund her, i will get a pair of damaged boots back and will be out of pocket? 

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Selling items

Leather or not if a boot splits after 2 days, it's not fit for purpose.  Can't imagine how and why they would do this on purpose.  You do say you were not 100% sure if it was leather.

Ask her to open a case for item not as described.  Accept the case within 3 days,  and if you want the boots back first,  the case will show you how to send a pre paid returned tracked label.  Do not refund until the boots are back with you,  you have 48 hours then to do so.

Stick within those timelines,  and your seller fees are refunded,  and your seller performance not affected.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Selling items

Shoes can get a thing called hydrolosis if they have been stored in a damp environment.

She might be telling the truth but if she needs to open a return not just demand a refund.

If she has opened a return for not as described you should accept the return and issue a label or refund without the return.

If you do nothing and she escalates the case eBay will refund her let her keep the boots.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Selling items

Thank you for your reply. Yes, she has opened a case, I am just horrified that they have split as they are brand new. If she is genuine, then thats horrible, but if she has damaged them some other way, then this would be very  unfair for me to suffer the cost. 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Selling items

Thank you for your help. The boots were in my hallway along with my other shoes and boots, so they have remained in a warm environment. 

I realise Ebay protect the buyer, but should really protect the seller too. Its an unfair situation

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Selling items

When you get the boots back, ask your brother for the receipt and take them back to the shop they were bought from.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Selling items

jow1995
Conversationalist

You have sold 1.8k items, this is a lot for a private seller, maybe worth you taking a look at the the new Digital selling rules coming into force

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: