Selling an item whilst the auction is still open.🤷‍♂️

Hello all,

I'm currently selling a pair of boots in an eBay auction and have already received a few bids.

There are still quite a few days left to go until the auction ends.

However, I have just received a message from an eBayer to ask me if I would accept an offer from them so that I could end the auction.

I have not replied to them yet, as I thought I would first seek advice from you guys, since I'm not sure if I can do that whilst an auction is still "live".

Please can you advise me?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

W

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

If a buyer places the first bid on an item it will of course show as the starting price.

As I said you have no way of knowing what their bid amount amount is.

Imo sellers should start their auctions at the lowest price they are prepared to accept & not use BIN.

Message 21 of 22
See Most Recent

@nextgenlive wrote:

The only way that works is to start the bidding at the buy it now price as the moment a bid is placed buy it now is removed and an opening bidder is almost certainly a low baller who has bid under value to "remove" a buy it now price from the listing so nobody gets the opportunity to pay the asking price.

Mixing the two in the current form defeats the purpose entirely.

You can't start an auction at the same price as a Buy It Now price.

In most categories the Buy It Now needs to be 40% higher than the auction start price. 

In certain categories, Buy It Now disappears only after 50% of the Buy It Now price is reached through bidding:

• Parts & Accessories on eBay Motors
  • Tickets
  • Clothing
  • Shoes & Accessories
  • Mobile Phones & PDAs
Message 22 of 22
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: