Selling a bike

I am thinking of selling one of my bikes. I would get a better price if I offered postage but reading all these scammer stories I'm a little reluctant to do so.

However if I sell it collection only and allow the buyer  to organise their own courier would they be able to create a problem with it  and return it as not as described at my expense. 

As I understand it unless the seller has no right to return if I don't offer returns.

Am I correct in my assumption 

Many thanks for any advice

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Selling a bike

If a buyer organises a courier [in theory at least]  they lose any protection from eBay - as will you

@strongbull 

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

The safest and only secure way to be paid for Buyer collection items is >

Cash on Buyer collection is allowed and recommended ... QR codes confirming payment and item receipt are not essential for Buyer collection items.   Buyers signature on order printoff may be useful in event that you need to confirm collection ... they can examine the items before paying in Cash and taking the item away, ... the risks of later disputes being accepted are then minimal. >

0n collection, Seller needs to return to the sold item and mark as paid and despatched in dropdown menu on right hand side ... See information in these links re:- Cash on Buyer Collection items >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181%3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

Good Evening Strongbull

Keep it as simple and stress free as possible.   Although you limit your market and chances of a sale by collection only sales keep it to that with payment on pick-up ie cash. 

Explain to any prospective buyer that he is helping himself by thus being able to examine the bike and be happy with his purchase before handing over any money.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If you can't or won't offer postage then I wouldn't allow collection by a third party courier either - things go out of your control if buyer sends a courier who damages the bike.

While collection by a buyer-arranged courier should mean that the buyer loses their eBay money back guarantee rights, there are two considerations: eBay do not always apply their own policies correctly in the event of disputes, and secondly the buyer still has the option to submit a dispute with their card provider (where eBay's rules don't apply).

So if you can't post it, I say stick to collection only.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

Good point regarding a dispute with card provider.  Never thought of that.

Will stick to cash on collection only

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

Good Evening SB

When you come to list it I would certainly advise you putting a 'video' up to accompany your pictures. You could do a walk round of the bike with the wheels and pedals spinning etc.  This will help attract  prospective bidders.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Selling a bike

@strongbull wrote:

Good point regarding a dispute with card provider.  Never thought of that.

Will stick to cash on collection only

If you haven't already done so, go back to your Seller Preferences and disable the option that requires buyers to provide their payment details straightaway.  This has caused a lot of problems for buyers, one of which is that it removes the option for the buyer to choose to pay the seller in cash when he/she collects the item.  If you disable this option then should somebody commit to purchasing the bike the buyer would be able to select the "I'll pay the seller when I collect the item" option, so long as you have included it on the listing as an option that the buyer can select at Checkout.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent