Scamer buyer or buyers remorse what to do?

Hi, sold 3 marvel legends combied orders, got to the seller in 48hrs and he claims the figure was broken... I took pictures before packing her and of her package there is zero chance of a breakage. So what can I do? He wants a full refund.

Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Same happened to my relative, no option but to refund! I wonder if people see this of a way to replace their broken collectable free of charge? Money back guarantee, what joy. Three of our family no longer sell on this platform.

Message 2 of 39
See Most Recent

That is not happening and if ebay side with the buyer I will contact the bank for fraud as that is what Ebay is doing then.

Message 3 of 39
See Most Recent

The buyer needs to send a photo of the broken figure. Was the packaging also damaged? You shouldn't just refund them. They will need to return what you sent them first. If you sent them 3 figures they need to return all of them, not just the one that is broken. 

Message 4 of 39
See Most Recent

If the buyer has opened a case you MUST accept the return or eBay will refund the buyer (from your account) and tell the buyer to keep the items.

It is quite literally your word against theirs. In all honesty it is possible that the item did arrive broken - only you know the condition it was in when it was sent and only the buyer knows the condition it was in when it arrived. It is also quite possible that the buyer is intent on switching a broken collectible for an unbroken one - I'm guessing their is no numbered COA with it? - just as it is possible that you sent a broken item in the first place...

The thing is nobody knows who sent who what, so you need to accept the return and get the item back first and then take things from there. The problem is that if you cannot prove without question that what is returned is what you sent - and I'm sorry, but despite what you may think photos don't prove anything - you will end up with a broken item, no money and no way of effecting recourse (there would be no point in commencing legal action against anyone unless you have definitive proof).

This is just one of the perils of selling on eBay and unfortunately it seems to have happened to you. Assuming you are telling the truth you have sent out an item in perfect condition which the buyer claims was broken on arrival. All you can do is accept (and pay for) the return or else you will lose both item and money. It looks like you will have a broken item returned while the buyer keeps the perfect one and gets a refund. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Message 5 of 39
See Most Recent

Unfortunately the Bank won't be able to do anything nor will the Police.

The Ebay MBG makes it very easy for a buyer to play "switcheroo".

The returns process is full automated ,no humans look at it at all.

Message 6 of 39
See Most Recent

"The buyer needs to send a photo of the broken figure" ?.

On planet Ebay that would read "The buyer needs to send a photo of A broken figure".

They only have to add a pic if they open a dispute ,they don't have to send the seller anything ,they don't even have to communicate with the seller at all.

Because the returns process is fully automated the buyer can add a pic of anything they wish ,no one will see it.

For instance.If i received a faulty wind up egg timer how would a photo prove it didn't work.

They can just open a dispute for "item not as described" and go through the process until they get a full refund whether seller agree's or not.

Message 7 of 39
See Most Recent

I talk from experience, caught twice others in family far more, this is what happens in the real world!

Message 8 of 39
See Most Recent

As with you I too took pickies, switching to packing up infront of the cctv camera. It all just added to the burden and time in saving files to pc.  For me, a seller of my own personal used tools and 30 years of collectable hobbies, I will no longer take the risk. I, as too other family members, no longer sell on here now, switching to other free to use platforms which to me, are hassle free.

If you continue, one idea I had was to use a uv security pen and hide a mark, initials, on base or inside a cover, you will need a uv light for photo evidence. You could just do collect only with cash!  Of the cases personal to us, the buyers sent pickies of broken items and all showed NO damage to outer packaging. Does one want to pay the post to get a broken item back!

Message 9 of 39
See Most Recent

It was the last lot of figures as tired of time wasters and non payers lol. 

Message 10 of 39
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@tblu51 wrote:

Hi, sold 3 marvel legends combied orders, got to the seller in 48hrs and he claims the figure was broken... I took pictures before packing her and of her package there is zero chance of a breakage.

With respect, you cannot make a sweeping statement like that. At this point you don't know if the item has been damaged during transit or not. 

Message 11 of 39
See Most Recent

Please see what @*vyolla* says.    It is perfectly "possible" that the item was damaged in transit.  Realistically you have no input into that.

The eBay money back guarantee requires you to send a label to return the whole consignement [3] and then refund.  If you do not do that eBay will do so and will keep your fees and sanction you. 

When the items return you can [subject to having used the correct service] claim from Royal Mail for the damage.  @tblu51 

Message 12 of 39
See Most Recent

@cheekychippy210 wrote:

If you continue, one idea I had was to use a uv security pen and hide a mark, initials, on base or inside a cover, you will need a uv light for photo evidence. 

Even then, even if you get back a return and it does not have your security marking, what then? 

Message 13 of 39
See Most Recent

@cheekychippy210 

As @eastern-lights says.  You may be 100% right but if they open a NAD case you do simply have to refund. 

You will then be able to appeal to eBay but with what success we do not know. 

The real problem is that there is initially no human input.  EBay simply says "we never see what was sent".  It's fanciful perhaps but even a photo taken when packing does not prove that it was packed.  Some might take CCTV of them packing but I have never heard of eBay viewing it.  Again even that does not "prove" that it went into the post box!  

Message 14 of 39
See Most Recent

I can in this case I bubble wrap them then put them in a zip lock bag using it as a air pocket so the figure is not touching anything lol then wrap that in bubble wrap I'm OTT when it comes to packing lol..

But so far he wanted my email... asked for a full refund and not went through Ebay yet.

Message 15 of 39
See Most Recent

@tblu51 wrote:

I can in this case I bubble wrap them then put them in a zip lock bag using it as a air pocket so the figure is not touching anything lol then wrap that in bubble wrap I'm OTT when it comes to packing lol..

I sell vintage action figures, and I wouldn't be confident with that packaging. A hefty bang will damage the wings if that was the Wasp figure.

Plus, you have no idea what's been loaded on top of your package. 

Message 16 of 39
See Most Recent

Do not give your e-mail [if not too late] as all correspondence must be through "eBay messages" to protect both of you..

It would be prudent to say something like "if you consider that there was something wrong you must use the eBay money back guarantee system".  It is totally pointless to discuss/argue/speculate.

He gets 30 days to do so.  As for packing I would have used a firm box with the items wrapped in bubble wrap and then the whole box wrapped in bubble wrap. 

I seem to recall some advice to ensure that it would stand a drop of 2m!

@tblu51 

Message 17 of 39
See Most Recent

report buyer tab, refused to accept return, buyer kept goods and refunded in full,  I then reported them and I too got all my money back.

Message 18 of 39
See Most Recent

what postal service did you use?  Personally, no issues on damages when we have sent with hermes, full refund of goods and post with no quibble. The same can not be said with Royal Mail who asked for original purchase receipt. Book of 10 stamps sent as compo. Never used them since, 8 years and counting.

Message 19 of 39
See Most Recent

Tracked 48hrs Only use digital stuff so proving it is np lol. Noting but hassle as a buyer with Hermes and Yodel though so never touching them as a seller.

Message 20 of 39
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: